Config. NAS FTP throught Domain (adding FTP webspace for use)

Currently reading
Config. NAS FTP throught Domain (adding FTP webspace for use)

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Good afternoon

I have the following problem:
I have a domain where I have developed the web in wordpress (through DonDominio.es)
I have 1gb of FTP storage

If it weren't because I have to upload content that occupies + 5GB + 10GB and henceforth, it will not work for me since it is very expensive the hosting

So I opted to use my NAS Synology DS218 +

My question is how can I configure the NAS and the domain so that I can take advantage of the NAS space to add another FTP route

PS: I don't want the whole web to be on the NAS server
PS2: I need to route the web like this: USER>website/maindomain>FTP

(it is based on developping some PDF files open and SEA readable on the links, so I can add many PDF file throught the main domain and makes positive to SEO)

image: imaagen — Postimages

I would appreciate any help

Hope you can understand my english

greetings!

Do you have shell access on your hosted webpackage? If not, you can skip my response, except the last sentence.

Ultimately you are trying to mount some sort of remote storage from somewhere else to extend the storage capacity from the web host and still be able to access the files from the same web host... did I get that correct?

I do remember ftp bouncers from the past, that act as a ftp server facade, but forward the traffic to other ftp servers in the background depending of the folders you enter, though this will not allow the web host to access the content like in a local folder.

You might want to take a look at sshfs, which allows to mount a folder from your nas on the web host (using ssh for transport,), which will allow the web host to access the nas folder content like in a local folder.

In both cases, for ftp clients it would appear as if the files are served from the same host. I wasn't aware that ftp still is a thing in 2021...

Though, both are terrible ideas. Why don't you rent a vps for a couple of bucks per month and run your stuff there?

Upvote 0
Do you have shell access on your hosted webpackage? If not, you can skip my response, except the last sentence.

Ultimately you are trying to mount some sort of remote storage from somewhere else to extend the storage capacity from the web host and still be able to access the files from the same web host... did I get that correct?

I do remember ftp bouncers from the past, that act as a ftp server facade, but forward the traffic to other ftp servers in the background depending of the folders you enter, though this will not allow the web host to access the content like in a local folder.

You might want to take a look at sshfs, which allows to mount a folder from your nas on the web host (using ssh for transport,), which will allow the web host to access the nas folder content like in a local folder.

In both cases, for ftp clients it would appear as if the files are served from the same host. I wasn't aware that ftp still is a thing in 2021...

Though, both are terrible ideas. Why don't you rent a vps for a couple of bucks per month and run your stuff there?

yes you are correct, I was thinking to create inside of the /public/ folder (wordpress) on the ftp a link to the nas, so I could upload some index archives (more than 500mb each archive) for some sort of SEO friendly Cathalogue throught the domain

then we go to last sentence, I will upgrade the hosting sieze or make the website on my DS218+, i just wanted to make more usefull my ds218+ for something else than storing old files

thanks for yout time, appreciate it

Upvote 0
Hi again, maybe I am asking for much, but could you please tell me how you develop it in sshfs?
the domain is at: dondominio.com (wich I dont have access to shell) but i can change the hosting easy

maybe I can make my last try

the main thing is that in my case, as I said, i need to enrout it throught the /public/ folder (wordpress user)

thanks for your time!

Upvote 0
lmgtfy found this tutorial: How To Use SSHFS to Mount Remote File Systems Over SSH | DigitalOcean (applies to your webhost)

the main thing is that in my case, as I said, i need to enrout it throught the /public/ folder (wordpress user)
Make sure to mount the remote filesystem inside whatever folder is the root folder used for /public and be good. (applies to your webhost)

Though, you will need to enable sshd and expose it to the internet on your nas. The user must be in the adminstrators group. You should definitly prefer keyfile based authentification over password based authentification.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.