Solved Configuration Lost on DS916+ running DSM 6.2.2

Currently reading
Solved Configuration Lost on DS916+ running DSM 6.2.2

NAS
DS916+
Hi!

I'm the author of the following post on reddit.
DS916+ on latest DSM says "Configuration Lost"
This happened to me for the first time last Monday, set it all up since then, and it happened again today, on a Monday, again... (gotta love Mondays.)

I'd like to think of myself as a geek, and well versed in all things IT... but the way Synology run their OS, you can't really tell what's happening in the background, and why, unless you want to dig around with SSH for log files...and in this case, I can't even SSH into it, since it's completely reset now.

I went for a deeper dive on reddit to maybe find people who had the same issue as me with their DiskStation, and I found this post, about an older device.
Configuration Lost Potential Fix - DS412+

Synology is ready to replace my device using an Advanced RMA, which is still under waranty, but I can't help myself but to think that the issue can't be related to my current software or hardware setup, since it worked great between the resets.

All that to say,
  • Would it make sense to think that there is a defect with the reset button on our devices?
  • Does any of you know how to maybe Telnet into the device and find his way to a log file that would tell us "reset button was pressed"?

Thanks for reading!

I had that a few times before one of my drives failed.

What kind of volume setup were/are you running? Mine is running in SHR-1.
I've had HDD failures before, but it never changed how the NAS was running, since (from what I understand) the OS is stored on a small partition of each hard drives in the volume.

take one of the disk from NAS, you need to connect to disk directly by SATA/USB adapter and connect to PC/Lnx/Mac device as external disk
Use Tesdisk utility. Never before repair the SHR-1 (reason why I still don’t use this proprietary kind of RAID).

Two possible scenarios how to get the data from the disks, when NAS HW/OS or unavailable is broken:

1. Faster, but not extended range of options (used, tested, ok)
Please follow these instructions. This procedure will wipe your current DSM install and packages but will retain your data:
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Remove ALL the disks from the NAS.
  3. Find a single (another) spare disk of any size that you do not mind completely erasing the data and insert it into the NAS - bay 1.
  4. Use Synology Assistant (available in the Download Center on http://download.synology.com/) to install the DSM onto this spare drive. DO NOT CREATE VOLUME AFTER INSTALLATION. If a volume was created during installation please remove it before proceeding to the next step.
  5. When the DSM is fully running on the spare drive and you are able to log in and connect through the web interface, shutdown the NAS.
  6. Physically install all of the original drives back into the NAS except for the drive bay where the spare drive is located. Make sure to leave the spare drive in drive bay 1 as this holds the DSM installation.
  7. Boot up the NAS and verify that you can see your data, including iSCSI LUNs if you had any. The volume status at this point will be "Degraded".
  8. (optional) Repair the volume under Storage Manager > Volume/Disk Group > Repair and select Disk 1. It will need to erase this drive in order to add it back to the RAID.

2. More complicated, but better when the disk failure happens
For a test of the RAID in another device or a data transfer from the disks:

connect both disks to your PC/Lnx/Mac device
then run mdadm directly from Linux (or Live USB from Win/Mac)
mdadm is a Linux utility used to manage and monitor software RAID devices
if not installed:
sudo apt-get install mdadm

then you need lvm2, The Logical Volume Manager (LVM) provides tools to create virtual block devices from physical devices. Use this link for more.
sudo apt-get install lvm2

Now you can mount the Syno drives, use:
sudo mdadm -Asf &&& vgchange -ay

.... take a time
then if everything is correct (hope for it) you will see a message: Volume "x" is active and you can find your data in File cabinet

if no, use Tesdisk utility

1. Faster, but not extended range of options (used, tested, ok)
Please follow these instructions. This procedure will wipe your current DSM install and packages but will retain your data:
  1. Shut down the system.
  2. Remove ALL the disks from the NAS.
  3. Find a single (another) spare disk of any size that you do not mind completely erasing the data and insert it into the NAS - bay 1.
  4. Use Synology Assistant (available in the Download Center on Download Center | Synology Inc.) to install the DSM onto this spare drive. DO NOT CREATE VOLUME AFTER INSTALLATION. If a volume was created during installation please remove it before proceeding to the next step.
  5. When the DSM is fully running on the spare drive and you are able to log in and connect through the web interface, shutdown the NAS.
  6. Physically install all of the original drives back into the NAS except for the drive bay where the spare drive is located. Make sure to leave the spare drive in drive bay 1 as this holds the DSM installation.
  7. Boot up the NAS and verify that you can see your data, including iSCSI LUNs if you had any. The volume status at this point will be "Degraded".
  8. (optional) Repair the volume under Storage Manager > Volume/Disk Group > Repair and select Disk 1. It will need to erase this drive in order to add it back to the RAID.

Thanks for your input, jeyare. I had seen that same solution on another reddit post. The person who tried that then reported back a month after saying the issue came back.

The other thing that worries me is if it reboots again WHILE I'm repairing the volume...what happens then...

Thanks for your input, jeyare. I had seen that same solution on another reddit post. The person who tried that then reported back a month after saying the issue came back.

The other thing that worries me is if it reboots again WHILE I'm repairing the volume...what happens then...
yes :cool: right, but tested flag is the point
back to to your worries:
1st solution (redit based and tested by me) is about standard degradation repair, tested 2-times in my environment, but with RAID1. As I wrote - I like standardized RAID1 more than proprietary SHR-1. Then with the SHR-1 I have no experiences.

2nd solution - is not about repair of the RAID1 (for heavy tech yes), but is pretty fine for data saving.

Finally you still have a choice how to save data for new disks.

Final update on this one. I found out that it is the reset button that is faulty. I found the following information in the content of the /var/log/scemd.log log file.

Code:
2019-05-07T22:06:10-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:06:10-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:06:10-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:68 creating thread to set system as default
2019-05-07T22:06:20-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:24 System Reset to Default is performing.
2019-05-07T22:07:22-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:07:22-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:07:22-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:68 creating thread to set system as default
2019-05-07T22:07:32-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:24 System Reset to Default is performing.
2019-05-07T22:10:30-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:10:30-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:10:30-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:68 creating thread to set system as default
2019-05-07T22:10:40-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:24 System Reset to Default is performing.
2019-05-07T22:10:44-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:10:44-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:11:33-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:11:33-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:11:33-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:68 creating thread to set system as default
2019-05-07T22:11:40-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_microp.c:96 reset button pressed, ret = 0
2019-05-07T22:11:40-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:45 event SYNO_EVENT_BUTTON_RESET
2019-05-07T22:11:40-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:87 System Reinstall to Default is performing.
2019-05-07T22:11:40-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:91 Reinstall Success
2019-05-07T22:11:43-05:00 DiskStation scemd: event_sysreset.c:24 System Reset to Default is performing.

I was able to "gain" access to the log files (before they get wiped) by adding a task to the Task Scheduler that triggers when a shutdown-type event is detected. It sets a timer on the shutdown command, which prevents your DiskStation from rebooting when the reset button is pressed. At least, that gives me the chance to look at things before the OS/Configuration wipes itself again.

Script/content of the task:
Code:
shutdown -h +9999999

I contacted Synology, and they already shipped me a replacement unit.
Hopefully, that information helps someone else who sees the same issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.