Currently reading
Configuring unbound to a Pi-Hole Docker container

NAS
DS1815+, DS1819+, DS1522+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Does anyone have a step by step on how to configure pi-hole with unbound after the container has already been created? tutorials I have watched indicate this is all done via ssh, but I am unsure how that works, given that my Pi Hole is the same as my NAS IP with port 8181 appended....

Does anyone have a step by step on how to configure pi-hole with unbound after the container has already been created? tutorials I have watched indicate this is all done via ssh, but I am unsure how that works, given that my Pi Hole is the same as my NAS IP with port 8181 appended....
I don't have the step by step config you're after, but can tell you that you can SSH into a docker container with:
docker exec -it pihole /bin/bash where 'pihole' is the name of the docker container you want to ssh into.

Obviously for this to work the container needs to include bash and a runing ssh server. The standard pihole container does have both of these.

Obviously for this to work the container needs to include bash and a runing ssh server. The standard pihole container does have both of these.
To be precise the container needs bash (most only provide /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash). SSH is not required in the container -> it needs to be enabled on the NAS, and the user used for login must be in the Administrators group. And most likely you will need to prefix the docker command with sudo

So it will be either one of those (if your pihole container actually is named pihole)
  • open a shell via ssh connection
  • execute one of the commands below in the shell, to get a shell inside the container:
Code:
sudo docker exec -it pihole /bin/bash
sudo docker exec -it pihole /bin/sh
- follow whatever is described in the tutorials you found.

To be precise the container needs bash (most only provide /bin/sh instead of /bin/bash).
This seems like an irrelevent distinction. The OPs Q (and my A) were talking specifically about pihole; the official docker version of this has its bash shell at /bin/bash.

SSH is not required in the container -> it needs to be enabled on the NAS, and the user used for login must be in the Administrators group.
Ok

And most likely you will need to prefix the docker command with sudo
If we're going to be pedantic about sudo, the use of it depends on whether one has followed the first post-installation step in the official Docker setup guide on managing docker as a non-root user which allows docker commands to be run without sudo.

So it will be either one of those (if your pihole container actually is named pihole)

Code:
sudo docker exec -it pihole /bin/bash
sudo docker exec -it pihole /bin/sh
In the case of pihole, it's the 1st one. Which is why I wrote it as such.

Sorry but your corrections appear to be trying to engage in some kind of thread-topping, whilst adding little of value to the Q at hand...?

Looks like I triggered you somehow with my post: it was not my intention.

I have no idea whether bash or sh exists in the pihole images, so I wrote what works with most of the images. Thank you for clarifying that bash exists in the image.

If we're going to be pedantic about sudo, the use of it depends on whether one has followed the first post-installation step in the official Docker setup guide on managing docker as a non-root user which allows docker commands to be run without sudo.
Are these instructions finally working on a Diskstation? if so, thank you for letting us know! It used to require other commands.

I am not sure if I understand your comments about being pedantic.... If someone asks for a step-by-step instruction, this usually indicates they are inexperienced in this topic, and from my experience everything we don't mention because it's obvious to us, is going to be the next question.

Cheers!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.