Currently reading
Solved Confused about converting/expanding from my DS819+ to rack-mount options

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm moving soon and am building a new home/business network. The ubiquiti hardware I've chosen is rack-mount, and it seems like a good opportunity to convert my DS918+ to a rack-mount version. However, there is another wrinkle. My dad and I are planning to work together to build a NAS-network where the end goal is that I will have local storage/backups at my house, as well as offsite backups at his house. Likewise, he will have his own local storage/backups at his house, as well as offsite backups at my house. We live miles apart, so the chances of both of us experiencing catastrophic data failures is exceedingly low. Its a good opportunity for us both to have onsite/offsite backups while being able to maintain the privacy of our own personal storage clouds. In addition to regular file storage/backups, I will eventually be using my home-based NAS for hosting the Ubiquiti network controller and also running Surveillance Station.

Anyways, I currently have a 4-bay DS918+. Bays 1&2 are dedicated to a single "working" storage volume, while bays 3&4 are dedicated to a single backup storage volume. The backup volume takes nightly snapshots of the working volume as well as my pc. I want to have an additional 2 bays at my dad's house dedicated to a nightly backup volume for the offsite backups. Dad's setup would mirror mine. In essence, we will need 6 bays of storage at each house, unless someone has a better idea.

Currently, I plan on selling him my DS918+ for his onsite storage and backups, while I'd buy an additional DS218+ to be placed at his house for my offsite backup. Dad currently doesn't have any rack-mountable hardware, so its a good opportunity to find a good home for my used DS918+.

I then need 6 bays of storage at my house. Initially, I had planned on getting 2 separate NAS. Perhaps an RS819 for my use and an RS217 for dad? I don't really know how an RS819 compares to the DS819+? I see there is an RS820+, but it is $300 more than the RS819. Is the RS819 a huge downgrade from the DS819+? Is there a reason that I should have 2 separate NAS (one for my use, one for dad's) instead of going with the RX418 expansion NAS? The RX418 is only $50 cheaper than a RS819, so I'm not sure I see the appeal there. I suppose that having 2 separate NAS would allow us to better set our own security protocols and ensure privacy between each other?

Or, instead of buying an RS819 ($600) for me and the RS217 ($450) or RX418 ($550) for dad, should I just get an RS1219+ ($1200)? I'd just give dad admin priviledges to a couple bays to create his own volume to use as he needs for backups. I'd end up with a more powerful NAS with 2 extra bays for not much more $$. I don't really know if all this is possible when trying to set up offsite backups, so that's why I'm posting this. Hoping someone can help sort me out. Thanks in advance.

instead of going with the RX418 expansion NAS?
I would advise against it. As you say the price compared to a full-blown NAS is so low and with an expansion, you are dependent on the main unit.

I suppose that having 2 separate NAS would allow us to better set our own security protocols and ensure privacy between each other?
Correct

Or, instead of buying an RS819 ($600) for me and the RS217 ($450) or RX418 ($550) for dad, should I just get an RS1219+ ($1200)? I'd just give dad admin priviledges to a couple bays to create his own volume to use as he needs for backups. I'd end up with a more powerful NAS with 2 extra bays for not much more $$. I don't really know if all this is possible when trying to set up offsite backups, so that's why I'm posting this. Hoping someone can help sort me out. Thanks in advance.
If the budget allows it, go for it. You can give him an account or simply you could create a volume and give him permission on specific shared folders on that volume to do with them what he wants. The more the better in my book, but again, if the budget allows it.

How does the RS819 compare to my current DS819+? I'm not a super heavy user like some of you guys. Docker is in my future plans, but I doubt I'll do anything to crazy. Will I even notice any difference?
What model are you thinking when you wrote DS819+? That model does not exist. Do it’s either a 918+ or 1819+.

Comparing any of them with RS819 is a no competition. If you do have Docker in future plan (no matter how much you will use it or not) you might wanna avoid that RS model. It is running Realtek cpu so docker support is out.

What model are you thinking when you wrote DS819+? That model does not exist. Do it’s either a 918+ or 1819+.

Comparing any of them with RS819 is a no competition. If you do have Docker in future plan (no matter how much you will use it or not) you might wanna avoid that RS model. It is running Realtek cpu so docker support is out.
Sorry. Dyslexic fingers. Ds918+.

918 kills that 819 model in everything. Docker support on it is great. Atm I would recommend getting 920 model instead just because it’s fresh and will have longer support then 918 as well as the fact that it’s costs the same. If you are looking for a rack based model in that category I would suggest RS820+ or it’s RP version

Those are Intel Atom based 4bay devices with possible RAM upgrades and Docker support.

918 kills that 819 model in everything. Docker support on it is great. Atm I would recommend getting 920 model instead just because it’s fresh and will have longer support then 918 as well as the fact that it’s costs the same. If you are looking for a rack based model in that category I would suggest RS820+ or it’s RP version

Those are Intel Atom based 4bay devices with possible RAM upgrades and Docker support.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. I originally got the Ds918+ because the interwebs said it was great value for the $$, but couldn't find much comparing it to newer rack mount options.

Circling back to this, I'm looking into upgrading again and keeping my eyes open for any black friday deals. I'm leaning towards the RS1219+ for my house and selling my dad my ds918+ for his personal use, as well as buying another 2-bay NAS to put at his place for my off-site backup. I am now running docker and surveillance station, so support for those in addition to uses outlined above on my home nas is important.

Setup as proposed:
My house:
RS1219+
-2 bays for my local backup
-2 bays for my working drive
-2 bays for dad's off-site backup
-2 bays empty for now allowing for future expansion

Dad's house:
My old DS918+
-2 bays for dad's local backup
-2 bays for dad's working drive

New 2-bay NAS for my off-site backup.

Given this setup, I have 2 questions:
1. does the RS1219+ support docker & surveillance station?
2. what is the cheapest 2-bay synology NAS I should buy for an off-site backup? I'm not looking for the absolute cheapest one out there. I want one that will be functional for a while but don't want to break the bank on it. Not currently planing on doing anything with it other than backups, unless there's some other use out there for an off-site NAS that I don't know about.

Just confirming, dad could run backups from his personal NAS to the drives I allocate to him on my NAS using active backup or whatever package is best for such situation without needing to be a full administrator on my NAS, correct?

Just confirming, dad could run backups from his personal NAS to the drives I allocate to him on my NAS using active backup or whatever package is best for such situation without needing to be a full administrator on my NAS, correct?
Depending on the choice of app and settings, yes

You'll be aware but thought I'd chip in a note about Internet connection speeds.

Ability to back up across the Internet from a home ISP connection will depend very much on the outbound speed of the connection. If both you and your Dad are lucky to have a reasonably quick outbound speed then backup to each others NAS will be fine. If you have lower speeds then you may have a few problems to consider:
  • Time to do the initial sync will be loooong: even a few 100GB could take days.
  • Use traffic control to limit Hyper Backup outbound speed so you have some bandwidth available for making other Internet requests (DNS, web, etc).
  • Recover will take a long time because there'll be one inbound connection (assume it's fast) but also the other end will be a slow outbound connection.
I experienced this with setting up C2 Backup with my, at the time, 6Mbps outbound (it's 10Mbps now, <faint>). So I limit outbound to <9Mbps and it only happens at night.

You'll be aware but thought I'd chip in a note about Internet connection speeds.

Ability to back up across the Internet from a home ISP connection will depend very much on the outbound speed of the connection. If both you and your Dad are lucky to have a reasonably quick outbound speed then backup to each others NAS will be fine. If you have lower speeds then you may have a few problems to consider:
  • Time to do the initial sync will be loooong: even a few 100GB could take days.
  • Use traffic control to limit Hyper Backup outbound speed so you have some bandwidth available for making other Internet requests (DNS, web, etc).
  • Recover will take a long time because there'll be one inbound connection (assume it's fast) but also the other end will be a slow outbound connection.
I experienced this with setting up C2 Backup with my, at the time, 6Mbps outbound (it's 10Mbps now, <faint>). So I limit outbound to <9Mbps and it only happens at night.
This is what I'm planning for the initial long backup. I'll setup my offsite backup NAS at home on my Lan to begin with to avoid the initial slow backup problem. I'll then move it to dad's house. Similarly, dad could load his home NAS up and then bring it to my house to do an initial full backup to his off site drives on my local Lan. I assume this is all possible?

We both have decent but not blazing internet. Plan is to schedule backups for the middle of the night and to offset the backup timings so they aren't running at the same time.

I assume this is all possible?
Hyper Backup will be able to pick up after the initial backup, you will just change the task and configure it to use an internet-accessible address (instead of a local one), and once the task re-evaluates all it will continue.

I was looking into this more and comparing a 220+ to a 720+ while there are many differences in scale of hardware and capability (ie, more users allowed on the 720+ for example), the only capability that was present on the 720+ and completely missing on the 220+ is "Virtualization". With the purpose of this NAS being solely for an off-site backup, is there any scenario where I'd need Virtualization? Otherwise, the 220+ from previous recommendations looks to be what I'll be targeting.

1606529058002.png

Attachments

• 1606529026511.png
    1606529026511.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 3
In your case, 220 will be more than enough. Just a bit of clarification on this "virtualization" section. This is related to official support for other hypervisors that exist and are used today. In this case, your NAS is purely used as a SAN LUN where the hypervisors store data (virtual machines in their proprietary format).

As you said, from a pure backup standpoint, 220+, imho, will do more than enough.

This is related to official support for other hypervisors that exist and are used today. In this case, your NAS is purely used as a SAN LUN where the hypervisors store data (virtual machines in their proprietary format).

This is mostly greek to me, but if you say I won't need virtualization on a pure backup machine then I'll take your word for it. Thanks again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back