Currently reading
Confusion about Synology SSL VPN client for Linux that doesn't seem to work

Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a Synology router RT6600ax, love it. I have the free SSL license and I've set up the Synology SSL VPN. Really slick, got rid of all my port forwarding. I can log in through the tunnel from my phone using the VPN Plus Android App, and then all the Synology android apps as well as remote access using the private local IP addresses work great through the tunnel.

Now what about a VPN client when I'm on the road? I have a Linux desktop as my main machine at home as well as a Linux laptop. When I log into VPN Plus from that Linux machine inside the network using a browser (or from the Linux laptop outside the network) I get prompted to download the Linux VPN client App version: 1.3.9-0472 / For Ubuntu 14.04).

Perfect. So I download and installed the .deb file, but it won't run. It's VERY old version, for Ubuntu 14.04. It gives the error ./vpnclient: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory when run in a terminal. Without this app running, I can't connect from the desktop.

So when I take my Linux laptop on the road and try to log into the VPN, I can't since the client doesn't work. I looked around the Synology site and there is no newer version.

VPN.jpg

So first of all, how is this not supported by Synology, and second, how would I log into the VPN from outside the network on my linux laptop. There is a Windows and Apple client, as well as iOS and Android. The library libssl.so.1.0.0 is long since deprecated, maybe years. Yet the router still shows the message to download the non-working Linux VPN client.

The SSL-VPN connection is initiated via the web browser. How are you initiating the connection?
Via a web browser. The browser login seems to just start the SSL client, but the SSL client software for Synology's SSL VPN won't run undere Linux even though there is a version, supposedly supported (Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS and Android). It's broken. Quote from above:

When I log into VPN Plus from that Linux machine inside the network using a browser (or from the Linux laptop outside the network) I get prompted to download the Linux VPN client App version: 1.3.9-0472 / For Ubuntu 14.04).

Hmm, you're right. In the release notes for the VPN client there's a complete lack of talk about the Linux client. I'd open a support ticket with Synology to ask where the working client can be found.

I saw what you wrote above, but you later said "It gives the error ... when run in a terminal.". So I wasn't sure if you had downloaded the from within the web portal but then run the from the terminal, and this was what was giving the error.

Hmm, you're right. In the release notes for the VPN client there's a complete lack of talk about the Linux client. I'd open a support ticket with Synology to ask where the working client can be found.

I saw what you wrote above, but you later said "It gives the error ... when run in a terminal.". So I wasn't sure if you had downloaded the from within the web portal but then run the from the terminal, and this was what was giving the error.
Sorry for the confusion. The error in the terminal was when I tried to run the executable that was downloaded and installed no problem. It is downloaded as a .deb file which is the proper file type for an Ubuntu-based linux machine, so everything seemed OK. Except the libraries are old and it wouldn't run.

I don't run it that often from my MacBook Air so I fired it up just now. It worked and there was notice to say there's a client update to 1.4.6-0685 (which matches my VPN Plus server), so I did it. And then VPN Plus portal repeatedly told me to download the client in order to use SSL VPN, so I did repeatedly, and uninstalled, and rebooted. I finally thought to try 1.4.5-0684 and this now works again. Go figure.

I would still ask Synology support if there's a newer, working Linux client.

I don't run it that often from my MacBook Air so I fired it up just now. It worked and there was notice to say there's a client update to 1.4.6-0685 (which matches my VPN Plus server), so I did it. And then VPN Plus portal repeatedly told me to download the client in order to use SSL VPN, so I did repeatedly, and uninstalled, and rebooted. I finally thought to try 1.4.5-0684 and this now works again. Go figure.

I would still ask Synology support if there's a newer, working Linux client.
There is a Mac version. They stopped updating the Linux version after 1.3.9-0472. As a linux user outside of Synology, I'm pretty pissed off. They should be supporting the Linux community with apps that are absolutely essential for their products to work.
Archive for Synology's SSL VPN clients

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.