DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
After going over v1.3 manual and other information pieces on VLAN I still have questions.
I have two groups of items: Cameras, and TV’s and other AV Items that in a perfect world I would like to isolate from computers. (Already Isolate NAS’s from these via Firewall of NAS’s, one of which allows ftp pics from cameras).
The physical layout of house has cameras & AV gear connected via main 24 port switch, router, local switch in rooms, and wireless access point in garage. All Switches are unmanaged.
My question is: does the physical layout —connections As is need to change for VLAN?
I believe in a perfect world, if all cameras appeared on router port 4, AV on 3, Computers and NAS’s port 2, and port 1 for expansion,,,,, VLAN would be easier to implement. This is not the case, and the present infrastructure in house could not support this approach. Cameras and AV are scattered all over the place, as are NAS’s. Because of this, no reduction in traffic would ensue, as they are all still going through the same infrastructure. VLAN would simply isolate items.
Having trouble getting my head around VLAN’s.
With existing layout, and everything still within same 255 IP’s, can VLAN be implemented here without major wiring and IP Changes?
I’m wanting to do lots of prep work prior to finding out my suppositions are very flawed on this type of upgrade, Before I upgrade router.

Thanks for any comments

Last edited:
Found a Synology “SPOT” video on SRM 1.3, and in viewing the part about VLAN, where a brief demo was shown configuring 2 computers to a printer via VLAN, the complexity seemed to confirm my concerns posted above. Adding additional gear would be complicated it would also appear.... SO: I'm awaiting 1.3.x, but primarily now for the security updates....
Furthermore I checked the DHCP devices, and there are 2x DHCP connections delegated to DTV System that change IP's as DTV System Update's itself (DTV main system box is Static IP, with no way to assign IP's to the 2x Dynamic items it creates).

My system at present:
No Guest Network.
Computers have access to everything.
IP's group set for: Allow Internet and NAS (Computers are here)
IP's group set for: Allow Internet, No NAS (DHCP Range in this area)
IP's group set for: No Internet, No NAS

allow ftp from cameras IP to one NAS only

I assign IP's on new gear to fit the above pre-determined groups...

2nd Deny IP's from cameras to Internet in Router Firewall (Make damn sure: just to sniff for 'Hits' -- none have ever been seen)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.