NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

I am using DS220j on my Apple Mac Studio. Both running latest firmware and OS.

Currecntly - I have connected both my Mac and the NAS to the home router (LAN Cable). Can i connect the NAS using its USB port to the USB C port on my Mac Studio.

Whats the ideal way to connect so that i get the best performance (file transfer between Mac and NAS) ?

Hello,

I am using DS220j on my Apple Mac Studio. Both running latest firmware and OS.

Currecntly - I have connected both my Mac and the NAS to the home router (LAN Cable). Can i connect the NAS using its USB port to the USB C port on my Mac Studio.

Whats the ideal way to connect so that i get the best performance (file transfer between Mac and NAS) ?
Wired minimum of cat 5E cabling will give you 1GBE transfer speeds....~110 MB/s

I checked yesterday with my current setup with BlackmgicDesign and i am getting 30MB/s Write and 45MB/s read. Isnt that too slow?
Try and make an AFP mount and transfer a single large file (in GBs) and see if that will be any faster then going over SMB.

I thought AFP had been depreciated?
AFP server (so Apple killed the server side), not client support (that macOS still supports, and DSM on the server side as well). But this is just to test out same setup with a different protocol using the same data sample.

It's on both as WIFi is needed for Apple Watch unlock. This is using Forklift as a copy program. Note my M2 Mini does not have the fast Ethernet port just the regular one.

It's on both as WIFi is needed for Apple Watch unlock. This is using Forklift as a copy program. Note my M2 Mini does not have the fast Ethernet port just the regular one.
But defaults to ethernet? If so, that should be faster.

It actually shows as:

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 16.57.17.pngScreenshot 2023-05-25 at 17.00.16.png
As I've got it connected via the KVM hub in my new Dell U3224KBA 6K monitor.... that could be the reason I guess. The Ethernet cable plugs into the monitor and that connects to the Mini via Thunderbolt 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.