Currently reading
Question Connecting my NAS to 4G

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've posted before that my uplink speed is only 1Mbps. However, I get 20Mbs through my iPhone on 4G.

What's the best way in 2020 to allow the NAS access to that 4G connection? The three possibilities I have considered are:
  1. Add a wireless USB adapter to the NAS, and connect to the phone wirelessly (is this still supported?)
  2. Add the iPhone connection to my PC and bridge connections.
  3. Connect a wireless access point to the LAN connector on the NAS and use that in Bridge mode.
I already have the hardware to do (1) or (2), so that would be my preference.

If I do any of these, how do I configure the NAS to ensure that local requests still go through the normal network, but online requests go through the iPhone?

Wireless support has been officially removed from DSM (complete section in Control Panel). Support for 3rd party devices (printers, dongles etc) was removed as well. So officially, 1) is a no go.

Option 2 and 3 could work but I guess you will have to test it out unless someone has already done that.

My suggestion would be this. Get a USB modem with 4G connection, use it as a modem in your router and completely bypass using your 1Mbit connection. Local communication will still remain local, but your 4G modem (router) will still remain as a gateway to the outside world.

Now, most ISP routers will not allow this to work, so you might wanna just get an off the shelf router that supports USB 4G modems and go from there.

I have this setup with Synology 2600 router (in a combination with Huawei stick) and I'm running a 40-50Mbit connection (at max) most of the time. This scenario will cost some $$ but if you intend to stay in that mode of operation it will pay for itself for sure and you can always "take it with you" if you move.

Since you have a 1019, can’t you configure each LAN port to have its own gateway on its own subnet? If possible, then you might need one of those 4G routers and connect it to one LAN port while the other LAN port remains on the default network subnet.

I think you’ll need a separate domain and a DDNS service for it (the 4G router). Online users (remote users) will always use the 4G domain, while on the LAN it’s business as usual on that subnet.

I’m just thinking loudly. I don’t have a two-LAN port capable DS. Someone with this option might verify what I’m saying.

My suggestion would be this. Get a USB modem with 4G connection, use it as a modem in your router and completely bypass using your 1Mbit connection. Local communication will still remain local, but your 4G modem (router) will still remain as a gateway to the outside world.

My router does support dongles, so I did consider that, but I'd need to pay $30/month for a 4G service when I already have unlimited data on my iPhone. I'd much prefer a solution that can utilise my existing 4G data contract, even if it's a bit more fiddly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.