DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
:)
What would connecting smart tv sets to my nas do ? Is there any IPTV function of some sort here ? What is the Plex software all about ??

I use kodi, have been for many years. Download it from your Tv. Kodi does a lot of things that may be questionable. I use it to stream media. Back in the day we would buy dvd's once a week walmart special. Rip them to nas.

the smart tv can connect to a nas share that holds your video’s via SMB.
Then it can pull any video and play like .mkv or .mp4 via the player functionality. Many smart TV have plex like functionality build in.

on the other hand, as @starfox101 mentioned, you can use plex, kodi or the likes to push video to the TV. A smart tv may not add much value. It adds functionality like search, sorting/categorizing and some online connections .

Personaly I use only smart tv functionality, and removed plex from the NAS as the familty is more happy operating the tv with one remote and the Smart TV can handle all we need.

Last edited:
the smart tv can connect to a nas share that holds your video’s via SMB.
Then it can pull any video and play like .mkv or .mp4 via the player functionality. Many smart TV have plex like functionality build in.

on the other hand, as @starfox101 mentioned, you can use plex, kodi or the likes to push video to the TV. A smart tv may not add much value. It adds functionality like search, sorting/categorizing and some online connections .

Personaly I use only smart tv functionality, and removed plex from the NAS as the familty is more happy operating the tv with one remote and the Smart TV can handle all we need.
Good intro EAZ1964 !
I mostly prefer minimal solutions as possible. So using the built-in smarttv function instead of Plex or more software might be better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.