Connecting Synology "DS Cam" Android app to Synology "Surveillance Station" through OPNsense HAProxy plugin

Currently reading
Connecting Synology "DS Cam" Android app to Synology "Surveillance Station" through OPNsense HAProxy plugin

The title sounds more complicated than it is in reality:

I just have replaced the Synology Reverse Proxy with OPNsense's HAProxy plugin to prevent NAT for more security on all of my Synology services and other different webservices too.

Everything is working fine, all my websites on all my webservers and all Synology services (Synology Chat, Synology Note, Synology Photos, Synology Drive, etc.) are reachable without any ussues. Even Synology's Surveillance Station including "Live View" is working and reachable over the internet as expected when using a PC's web browser.

Only issue I have is: When using my Android phone with Synology's "DS cam" app, I can indeed connect to the Surveillance Station. I can see all previews of the recorded videos and the preview screenshot of my live cam. But when I tab on any of the previews to watch recorded videos or go to the "Live View", the loading circle turns around a while and then only shows a washed-out picture. No chance to get "Live View" of my cam to work or to play any recorded videos.

Again: From a webbrowser on a remote PC everything is working fine.

Also: When using NAT instead of HAProxy, the Synology Android Surveillance app is working as expected.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Does anyone have the DS Cam android application running successfully without those issues through HAProxy anyway?

Thank you for any help/hints.

Capture.JPG

I found out by myself. You have to configure websocket on HAProxy and then forward to the according backend, if the incoming connection is looking for a websocket.

I had to add the following configuration to the HAProxy's https (443) frontend (you have to replace <mySynologyBackend(Pool)> with your according backend, of course):

acl is_websocket hdr(Upgrade) -i WebSocket acl is_websocket hdr_beg(Host) -i ws use_backend <mySynologyBackend(Pool)> if is_websocket

Hope this helps someone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.