DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello All,

I have setup my NAS DS920+ and have Lan1 to modem 192.168.0.xxx network and Lan2 internal on 192.168.1.xxx network and have tried to connect to an incoming and external mail server and the emails just wont setup.

I have setup Proxy Server and internet seems to be working well though cant get through to the server or ports 993 and 587.
I have opened these in the firewall and even disabled the firewall to test and they still won't go through.

I have also set these up on the modem so that 993 and 587 are open and it still can't see them.

Not sure what to do and appreciate any help.

Does the 'modem' (Internet firewall/router?) have a route for LAN 2's subnet? i.e

192.168.1.0/24 to gateway 192.168.0.NAS_IP
Not sure.... Any idea where that would be in the modem ?

No. I have no idea what device is your modem.

My setup is:

Virgin Media Hub 3 which integrates cable modem and Internet router + firewall + WiFi ... or optionally can be set, as I have done, in 'modem' mode [bridges cable to ethernet] so that my Internet IP address is assigned to my Synology RT2600ac. The RT2600ac is my Internet router + firewall + WiFi.

I don't run two LAN subnets so haven't needed to investigate how (if possible) to route to another subnet.

Before you had the NAS you previously said you used a Linux server: how did this all work then?

No. I have no idea what device is your modem.

My setup is:

Virgin Media Hub 3 which integrates cable modem and Internet router + firewall + WiFi ... or optionally can be set, as I have done, in 'modem' mode [bridges cable to ethernet] so that my Internet IP address is assigned to my Synology RT2600ac. The RT2600ac is my Internet router + firewall + WiFi.

I don't run two LAN subnets so haven't needed to investigate how (if possible) to route to another subnet.

Before you had the NAS you previously said you used a Linux server: how did this all work then?
Thanks...
So your lan1 is plugged into bridge on the modem router...
Then symbology is your router ? So do you use the dns IP address from your ISP ?
Sorry I’m new to all this!!!

Last edited:
In simple terms, I have one flat LAN, meaning one subnet, that everything is a member of: NAS 1/2/3; Macs; Phones; media players; and the RT2600ac is the router for the Internet. Any other subnets for Guest WiFi and VPN services are run, managed, and routed by the RT2600ac (there's no network routing I have to actively configure).

I've a network switch that connects the RT2600ac to wired LAN devices. I connect the NASes to the switch: the DS1520+ has 4 interfaces and these are bonded together with link aggregation so that I can server more devices at high speeds than if they had to share a single 1GB NAS port.

My DNS setup is slightly complicated as I run an [edit:] internal DNS service from the NAS for my home domain, this then queries OpenDNS servers for other domains. However, I run Safe Access on the RT2600ac and my DHCP server is setup to assign DNS as the router LAN IP, which then works with Safe Access, and the router used the NAS's DNS for its resolutions. I haven't used Virgin Media's DNS servers for years.

There may be a really good reason why you're using the DS920+ as a gateway between your client PC / devices and the Internet router, but it sounds that you may be over complicating the setup... unless you need to have segregated LAN subnets, such as not trusting IoT.

Thanks Fredbert,
I just changed my modem to the same network group and all seems to be working well though when i use a browser to go to my modem address it now goes to the synology ?
Is there a setting on the synology that could cause this instead of going to my modem setup ?

Are you still configured to web browse through the NAS's Proxy Server?
No i turned the Proxy server of and changed the wiring around so LAN1 isnt to the outside world and all computers have direct access.

I’m guessing but there could be remnants in either the NAS or the PC that thinks the modem’s IP is accessed via the NAS: routing or arp cache has the NAS’s MAC address associated with the modem IP.

Have you restarted any devices? That would force them to reload network configuration, get updated DHCP info, and flush arp cache.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.