Currently reading
Connecting to the DS918+ from an apple Mac Mini

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
This is one that's bugged me for a while. My NAS and Mac Mini are plugged into ports on my Router (Netgear Orbi RBK53S). The Mac Mini also connects via WiFi (to allow the use of the Apple Watch to unlock the Mini).

The issue is that in 'Finder' and 'Forklift' file managers on the Mac the MAS appears as 'nas name' under shared devices on the network. However on occasion, the mac loses connection to shares which are set as 'Login items' on the Mac - the reason being that the 'nas name' has changed to 'nas name-number'.

To avoid this I'm now mapping to the NAS using the IP address as this never seems to have the problem.

The result of this is that the 'nas name' shows under shares with nothing listed under it (which is a bit annoying).

I do backup to the NAS with TimeMachine so don't want to break that (that seems to use the 'nas name'....

So the questions are:

• Is there a way of stopping the 'nas name-number' issue from occurring (I guess not)?
  • If in the NAS 'File Services' settings if I turn off SMB (hoping it'll stop 'nas name-number' being broadcast and visible), will that also stop shares being viable using the IP address? I think it will.
Thoughts? I don't think there is a solution, but worth an ask....

Oh AFP is turned off...

I also use a mac mini (m1, 11.5.2), and do not recognise your issue, also not from previous versions.
SMB should be left on, otherwise you will losse connection.

What version are you on?
I have mapped the nas folders by IP using eg smb://192.168.x.xx/photo
Then I create links in the favourites to facilitate easy access.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure this is specifically Apple. If a device finds itself on the network with a duplicate name, it appends a sequential number as part of multicast DNS (on a local network). Likely that means your router got confused with its internal table, perhaps because the NAS didn't renew/release its DHCP lease properly.

A reboot of the router and NAS should help.

Upvote 0
Interesting, since I now map the NAS folders by IP using eg smb://192.168.x.xx/photo instead of using smb://nasname/photo I've not seen the issue at all.
The Mac is rebooted at least once a week the router uptime is 189 days I'll give it a reboot when convenient.
I auto-mount for ease of use but also to allow Carbon Copy Cloner and Sync Folders Pro to be able to do their backup / sync jobs.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.