Currently reading
Connecting without Quickconnect

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
If I connect to my NES using Quickconnect it takes up to 5 minuets. If I connect direct it's much quicker but I get not secure. I know how to get get a certificate when connecting QC but can't figure it without QC.
Can anyone explain how to do it please or point in the direction of a tutorial.

If I connect to my NES using Quickconnect it takes up to 5 minuets. If I connect direct it's much quicker but I get not secure. I know how to get get a certificate when connecting QC but can't figure it without QC.
Are you using DDNS as oppose to QC? In any case, you can start the Let's encrypt wizard inside Control Panel > Security > Certificate section and protect your DDNS domain that way.

Ok now this is where it goes over my head. My PC and Nas on the same network both connected by ethernet cable.

Ok now this is where it goes over my head. My PC and Nas on the same network both connected by ethernet cable.
That's fine, but just open the DSM Control Panel of your NAS and go to the Security section and then Certificate. Start there.

This is my problem I know how to configure it for QC. But no idea what to do after I get the certificate.
I can connect directly without going via QC with //***.***.*. ** and it does connect to the NAS but it says NOT SECURE with the https crossed through. What do I do after I get the certificate?

This is my problem I know how to configure it for QC. But no idea what to do after I get the certificate.
I can connect directly without going via QC with //***.***.*. ** and it does connect to the NAS but it says NOT SECURE with the https crossed through. What do I do after I get the certificate?
Is it configured in Certificate to be configured as the default certificate?

I can connect directly without going via QC with //***.***.*. **

certificates don’t work using internal ip addresses. You will need to use a domain name to connect to the nas, even for internal connection (using router loopback). The certificates are applied to domain names, not ip addresses.

follow all described details by you in this thread:
- you can’t compare QC speed vs LAN speed (direct). For QC you have all the internet route bottlenecks as barriers of your speed. For “direct” (in your case LAN) you have just speed of your LAN.
- follow a level of your skills, you need just endure the message “your connection is not secure/private” in your browser for the LAN (direct) connection. If the direct connection is in your house, no one can spy such transmission. Yeap, except some, who break your router security and you don’t know about it. Then it doesn't matter, because such person has everything to catching you.

follow all described details by you in this thread:
- you can’t compare QC speed vs LAN speed (direct). For QC you have all the internet route bottlenecks as barriers of your speed. For “direct” (in your case LAN) you have just speed of your LAN.
- follow a level of your skills, you need just endure the message “your connection is not secure/private” in your browser for the LAN (direct) connection. If the direct connection is in your house, no one can spy such transmission. Yeap, except some, who break your router security and you don’t know about it. Then it doesn't matter, because such person has everything to catching you.
Thank you for your reply. You have made things clearer.
-- post merged: --

Thanks for all your help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.