connection failover

Currently reading
connection failover

I have actually 2 connections to internet (1 fiber and 1 4G) and I would like to always be able to acces to synology remotely if one of the connections fail. Any idea how to do it? My NAS (RS819) has 2 network ports.

If failover is done at the router, wouldn't Synology DDNS / QuickConnect just pickup the new external WAN IP address of the active internet connection and route the DDNS / QuickConnect automatically (i.e. it should be seemless to the NAS)?

For Ubiquiti then the person to ask is @jeyare

To maintain Internet access through the router when one WAN connection fails then there are at least a couple of approaches:
  1. If the router can handle two active WAN connections then you can have an Internet DNS service advertise both connections separately: acc1.mydomain.com and acc2.mydomain.com. If you have a DNS load balancing service on the Internet then you can prioritise NAS services (subdomains) down either acc1 or acc2, and then acc2 and acc1 as a backup. Here the DNS load balncing server is performing the failover by detecting the prioritised path is down and returning the backup path.
  2. If you have active/passive WAN where the router is doing the failover itself then you will have to modify your DNS records to advertise the new IP address to your router.
Option 1 will likely be for businesses that either subscribe to such a service, or have deployed hosted devices such as F5 BigIP DNS (formerly GTM).

For option 2, for traditional DNS services and Time-To-Live, it can take up to three days for DNS changes to be fully replicated globally. By using DDNS services that have short TTL then you can use either router, DSM, or server/client software agents to monitor Internet IP changes and then update your DDNS records. These changes will then propagate quickly.

If failover is done at the router, wouldn't Synology DDNS / QuickConnect just pickup the new external WAN IP address of the active internet connection and route the DDNS / QuickConnect automatically (i.e. it should be seemless to the NAS)?
yes, right, up to your router WAN fail over setup (in case of Ubiquiti).
and @fredbert is Mr. Professor :cool:

I have actually 2 connections to internet (1 fiber and 1 4G) and I would like to always be able to acces to synology remotely if one of the connections fail. Any idea how to do it? My NAS (RS819) has 2 network ports.

I have an Ubiquiti USG 3P. So failover can be done, not sure though how I can setup a remote access to the NAS that can work with it though :)

Not sure what you need to do:
1. when failover WAN group (FTTx & LTE) in your USG is done - did you mean - you have done the setup in Unifi controller?
2. what kind of remote access you need setup to the NAS:
a) Synology QC (there is an automated process of new WAN IP capture in NAS, due fail over).
b) other (then @fredbert has answer to you).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.