Connectivity to the NAS as smb://nasname from iPad / iPhone?

Currently reading
Connectivity to the NAS as smb://nasname from iPad / iPhone?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Okay....... from my Mac I can access 'my folders' on the NAS by accessing shares via smb://nasname or smb://nas.ipaddress via either my NAS username or NAS admin.username.

If I go on the iPad (on the home network connected via WiFi) and look to connect to a server and use smb://nasname I typically get: "There was a problem connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address, then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator." This is via either my NAS username or NAS admin.username

If I go on the iPad (on the home network connected via WiFi) and look to connect to a server and use smb://nas.ipaddress I can connect via either my NAS username or NAS admin.username

I've checked SMB settings and it is turned on in file services, In User & Groups it's turned on for the users. Temporarily disabling the firewall doesn't make any difference. Other things I've tried include: turning off DoS protection, turning on AFP.....

It's really annoying, as the Mac has no problems at all connecting to smb://nasname

The only thing I've not tried is forwarding ports 445 & 139 (smb) to the NAS as this should not be needed?

Anyone any ideas?

Can I just confirm that you are trying to connect to your NAS via the Files app on the iPad/iPhone? I use DS File under Locations, on the Files app, to access the NAS. Also I have both my NAS' name and IP address as separate entries in the 'Shared' listing section of the Files app. (The reason I have both is that for some unknown reason sometimes I cannot connect via NAS name and other times cannot connect via IP address and I still prefer that method to DS File.)

Upvote 0
Indeed I am using the Files app as the DS File app does not support split view therefore I can't use it for dragging and dropping media I want to save.
Plus DS File always gives me error messages about my self-signed certificate not being trusted and folders appear empty half the time. It's a terrible app IMHO that for me is nigh on useless.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Assuming you have the apps, have you tried FileBrowser or Readdle Dcuments, being another straight forward way I use to connect to my NAS?

Wrt Files App, the main aspect I dislike about it is when I drill down through folders to find a file; open the file, which obviously opens with another app; then when I go to find another file, perhaps even in the same directory, I have to drill down again through the directory folder structure.

I was going to PM you a copy of my firewall settings, but then you have turned off the firewall, to no avail. So that would not help.

Wrt port forwarding, doesn't that only affect something coming in via the broadband connection rather than simply via your LAN/ wifi which is an internal route? (Hopefully someone will correct this assumption of mine, if wrong.)

I assume that you have tried a soft reset of the iPad and iPhone? This often cures many a problem.

Upvote 0
I use DS FILE and FILES App on iPhone and iPad. (And have for years)
I do not forward any ports in router.
Locally it just connects.
Remotely it uses QC login. Been successful worldwide.
For grins, I’d check to see if you are locked out due to miss typed login, now fixed, but your blocked due to 3 strikes rule.

Upvote 0
Just re-reading the initial post: which is not connecting? Para 2 and 3 both refer to iPad; perhaps para 3 was a copy/paste error and should be iPhone. So I assume you can connect via iPad but not iPhone?

Are both iPad and iPhone on 15.6.1 or at any rate fairly recent versions?

Upvote 0
It says, from the iPad, using network name fails but using IP address works. I wonder what happens using NAS SMB://name.local ?

If there is an IP restriction where a bunch of IPv4 addresses are allowed for connecting, I recently had this on Mac connecting to SFTP with BBEdit… using just the name as the destination failed but IP address worked. I found that the source address when destination was the NAS name was an IPv6 source address. This failed because I hadn’t anticipated this in the allow list.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Assuming you have the apps, have you tried FileBrowser or Readdle Dcuments, being another straight forward way I use to connect to my NAS?

Wrt Files App, the main aspect I dislike about it is when I drill down through folders to find a file; open the file, which obviously opens with another app; then when I go to find another file, perhaps even in the same directory, I have to drill down again through the directory folder structure.

I was going to PM you a copy of my firewall settings, but then you have turned off the firewall, to no avail. So that would not help.

Wrt port forwarding, doesn't that only affect something coming in via the broadband connection rather than simply via your LAN/ wifi which is an internal route? (Hopefully someone will correct this assumption of mine, if wrong.)

I assume that you have tried a soft reset of the iPad and iPhone? This often cures many a problem.

I don't have FileBrowser or Readdle Dcuments alas and I'm not going to buy them to get around the issue :)
Agreed on the port forwarding not being needed.
Yep I've soft reset both iPads and the iPhone, all three devices are affected.

Before the DS file has logged in try the Settings ‘cog’ to see if the switch for validating the certificate is enabled.

Yep indeed I realised that this morning and it does get around the certificates issue.

I use DS FILE and FILES App on iPhone and iPad. (And have for years)
I do not forward any ports in router.
Locally it just connects.
Remotely it uses QC login. Been successful worldwide.
For grins, I’d check to see if you are locked out due to miss typed login, now fixed, but your blocked due to 3 strikes rule.

If I was locked out then surely as mentioned above that'd be the issue with the Mac as well?

It says, from the iPad, using network name fails but using IP address works. I wonder what happens using NAS SMB://name.local ?

If there is an IP restriction where a bunch of IPv4 addresses are allowed for connecting, I recently had this on Mac connecting to SFTP with BBEdit… using just the name as the destination failed but IP address worked. I found that the source address when destination was the NAS name was an IPv6 source address. This failed because I hadn’t anticipated this in the allow list.

Well heck..... using NAS SMB://name.local works perfectly, that is a weird one. Good call @fredbert :) Problem sorted!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.