Question Contacts is out of beta... but I'm wondering about a few things

Currently reading
Question Contacts is out of beta... but I'm wondering about a few things

O Snap... I see that DSM7 is abandoning the standalone CardDAV server, so I'll have to figure out this migration soon. O the headaches just thinking about this...
Cant say i’m surprised. Think I wrote about this at some point or somewhere. Typical Synology move but nothing unexpected tbh

O Snap... I see that DSM7 is abandoning the standalone CardDAV server, so I'll have to figure out this migration soon. O the headaches just thinking about this...
Oh no. Are you Kidding me...
Wel migrating the data is a challenge I already managed to overcome by using vdirsyncer docker container. But reconfiguring the URLs in clients, pffff....
-- post merged: --

Some good news... It appears that the Contacts CardDAV link is

https://secret.synology.me/carddav/username (similar to the CalDAV link, add HTTPS port as necessary)

I'm unsure yet how labels affect this, but if like Google, labels aren't conveyed via CardDAV.
It still differs from the old Carddav package.

Wel migrating the data is a challenge
Yea... that's where I am now. Trying to figure this out. I use CardBook for Thunderbird, and I'm hoping that if I change the CardDAV URL in CardBook, that all my CardBook entries would sync to Synology Contacts.

But I fear instead, only my single test contact in Synology Contacts will reside in Thunderbird when the sync ends.

Actually... It was simple once I quit over-thinking.

I added a new addressbook in Card Book using the Contacts URL. It auto-loaded my test contact. Then, along the lines you suggested, I drag copied a handful of contacts from the existing addressbook to the new addressbook, then synced. Most fields were preserved (photos, too).

However, there's still the issue of address munging for imported contacts.

Scrolling through the packages and I see CardDAV.
In the beta downloads for CardDAV Server...

4BpJhvk.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.