Currently reading
Contacts works, syncs iOS and macOS except Contacts.app

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Contacts is running. It works and syncs to iOS and BusyContacts on a Mac. But I can't get Apple's Contacts.app to load the addresses. It appears to accept the login but doesn't even show the account in the sidebar. Obvs I know the server address etc and that it works...

Anyone have Contacts and Contacts.app working nicely?

CardDAV account and that's basically it.

Did you use CardDAV Server or the Contacts package?

I know I have the correct CardDAV address as it works perfectly on iOS and macOS via BusyCal. BusyCal takes the address in a single line whereas Contacts splits the server address and the directory so always causes trouble. But I have tried all the combinations. Also odd that nothing appears in the sidebar.

I think I recall finding that Apple Contacts app needs to have the port number explicitly included even if it will be a standard.

I use the Application Portal domain name when adding the new Contacts beta service and included the 443 port number. You may also have to include https:// , or not, it was a bit painful to get a reliable method and I've since forgotten. And click use SSL, even if you said it was https.

Check out the thread on Contacts beta ... Beta - Synology Contacts beta

Ah, sorry, I’m not using the Contacts package yet. Just the CardDAV server.
I want to use Contacts in order to share an address book around an office. As far as I know, you can't share and control which users have access to the cardDAV server unless you create a 'contact' user and give everyone the username/password login details. But that's not a solution!

Check out the thread on Contacts beta ... Beta - Synology Contacts beta
Sorry, I browsed 'n' searched but didn't see that thread!

It must be the Contacts.app. I've seen issues trying to use it with Nextcloud. BusyContacts works perfectly but is costly for an office full of folk who may only need it once a week. (Don't say have them use the web GUI, we know that has issues with the address fields!)

You make a number of useful suggestion regarding the server address. In one you say the /principles/user field is greyed out. I bet you wrote that after having a look. I find that I'm filling in the full details (in the Advanced option) but whne I go and look only the naked FQDN (lost the https:// and :<port-number> is missing. Ditto /carddav/username.

As I keep saying, BusyContacts works well!

Sorry, I browsed 'n' searched but didn't see that thread!
Often wondered in forums when the answer comes back as a link to a previous thread ... how did they find it (the dark side's search is particularly useless)? Now I realise it's because they knew where to look and some obscure combination of key words :)

In one you say the /principles/user field is greyed out.
Did I say 'is greyed out' or leave empty with the grey text? Either way I think it didn't need to be filled in.

Mac's Contacts (née Addressbook) has been fussy for a long time and always better at adding iCloud (MobileMe) and other big service providers than home/other CardDAV servers.

I used to use BusySync and then BusyCal when Mac had Sync services and no other way to share a home calendar. I stopped using when MobileMe had reliable calendar sharing and then Sync services was removed anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.