Currently reading
Container Automatic Start?

NAS
DS720+,DS212
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I have a Calibre eBook container running, but I only access it... maybe once a week, maybe less. I was wondering if there is any way to setup a script to start a container when the IP is hit, and then stop it after a specified amount of time.

I have a DS720+ with secure cert and reverse proxy.

Because I'm one of those people who like to close all apps as much as possible (on my computer, phone, etc.). I like having as few tabs on my browser, inbox zero... Back when I was running Win98SE, I remember using programs that would clear memory... I actually have a bunch of tabs open right now and a non-zero inbox, but I'm always trying!

My only real (valid) reason for doing this would be so I can have more containers running or more intensive containers running. So rather than burning memory for the ebook server all the time, my database servers could use it.

Fair enough.
Personally I wouldn’t worry about it (on a NAS), but that’s me :)

My only real (valid) reason for doing this would be so I can have more containers running
I’d rather add more memory (relatively cheap now) than bother doing this.

I actually have a bunch of tabs open right now and a non-zero inbox, but I'm always trying!
Aren’t we all. I gave up on this a long time ago. My inbox is like the Wild Wild West :)

Thank you for answering and good luck with your quest. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

As much as I get the idea behind this request I also ask the same question in my head as @WST16. If you are running 720 with stock ram getting another stick of ram (8 or 16GB) would take you a long way when it comes to docker containers and small services running inside it.

I am sure that Calibre is not consuming that much memory, but just in case have you limit the ram for that container and made sure that it doesn't use more than needed? This might be a better solution than to do a custom script solution that triggers the container when needed.

Out - of - the - box there is no option for the solution you are looking for, but I guess you could write a script to have this happen and after some idle time turn off the container down. Is it worth it? IMHO, no, but again, I do hear where you are coming from, just think that you would be better off having it running.

Yeah, agreed. I have expanded memory to 6GB, I was debating getting a bigger stick.

Thanks for the info!

Also you might want to observe how the idle behavior of the application is. Many applications tend to consume less memory when idle.

Also Containers are not realy suited for the use case you had in mind. You could create a low consuption embassador container (after you created the image of course) that stops /starts the other container.. But it is not realy worth the effort to implment such an embassador. If this would be a common use case, you would find severall images on Docker Hub.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.