Container Help

Currently reading
Container Help

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm a bit of a novice on this, so please excuse any improper questions/issues being brought up. I've got a DS920+ and am trying to setup a server for my friends to play Valheim. I've upgraded the RAM, have a NvME and am ready to give it the good ol' college try.

Unfortunately... I'm running into issues and after about 8 hours of issues, I need additional help. One of my friends was able to help, but I'm still very much in the weeds. Please help!

Now.... From what I see and have been told, my settings are correct. The file tree is /docker/config/Valheim/valheim-server/config/worlds

Saves are located /docker/config/Valheim/valheim-server/config/worlds
Server data folder is located /docker/config/Valheim/valheim-server/data

Please let me know your thoughts/if you see something done incorrectly. Essentially when I load the game, nothing shows up. I try to go to the server (192.168.50.254:2456) and it's got nothing. Doesn't even ask for my password.

Thoughts?? Thank you!

Attachments

• System Health Summary.PNG
    System Health Summary.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Docker Summary.PNG
    Docker Summary.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Valheim Server Process.PNG
    Valheim Server Process.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Valheim Server Log.PNG
    Valheim Server Log.PNG
    124.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Valheim Server Port Settings.PNG
    Valheim Server Port Settings.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Valheim Server Volume Settings.PNG
    Valheim Server Volume Settings.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 119
  • Ports.PNG
    Ports.PNG
    485 KB · Views: 121
Well, you can use internal 2456 ports if you mapped them to your local ports (32790, 71, etc). Those are the ports that need to be used when you connect to your instance, as well as those are the ports that need to be port forwarded on your router.

2456 are internal ports that only docker containers can see.

@bdpope88 Quick question, you're signed into Steam when you're doing this?
On my steam client, yes. Thanks for reading and helping out!
-- post merged: --

Well, you can use internal 2456 ports if you mapped them to your local ports (32790, 71, etc). Those are the ports that need to be used when you connect to your instance, as well as those are the ports that need to be port forwarded on your router.

2456 are internal ports that only docker containers can see.
Thanks for the reply!

What would you recommend I change my port forwarding settings to then?

@bdpope88 I started looking at this whilst on lunch. I'm having a similar issue, I've tried both the container you have as well as another.
Mine appears to connect but doesn't ask for a password.. Then disconnects after a while at a black screen. Nothing in the logs showing an attempt to connect either.
What AntiVirus do you use? Could the app be being blocked?

@Rusty As an FYI those are actually the ports specified that port by Valve(or the game makers). Moving it (at least in my tests) had no impact.
I've also tried using my normal container network as well as using host, all with the same result.

General info, it actually uses 2456-2458. It's in early access and is updated every few days.

I strongly suggest to use fixed port mappings (edit -> tab "Port Settings" -> "Local Port") and forward these ports from the router to your nas. Make sure to forward it as UDP port!

When editing the port mapping, make sure to not touch the Container Port..

This is the bit you need to consider ...
1614351984305.png

The Container Port is only accessible within the Docker environment. To access the Container Port there is an assigned Local Port which defaults to being dynamically assigned when the container is run. You can manually assign the Local Port so that it is always the same.

If your NAS's LAN IP is 192.168.50.254 then to access Container Port 2456 you will use 192.168.50.254:32791 (based on the screenshot).

@bdpope88 I started looking at this whilst on lunch. I'm having a similar issue, I've tried both the container you have as well as another.
Mine appears to connect but doesn't ask for a password.. Then disconnects after a while at a black screen. Nothing in the logs showing an attempt to connect either.
What AntiVirus do you use? Could the app be being blocked?

@Rusty As an FYI those are actually the ports specified that port by Valve(or the game makers). Moving it (at least in my tests) had no impact.
I've also tried using my normal container network as well as using host, all with the same result.

General info, it actually uses 2456-2458. It's in early access and is updated every few days.
Fair point I noticed that he port forwarded one port and containers were running other ones.

Code:
version: "3.9"
services:
  valheim:
    image: mbround18/valheim
    container_name: valheim
    volumes:
      - ${SSD}valheim/saves:/home/steam/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim
      - ${SSD}valheim/data:/home/steam/valheim
      - ${SSD}valheim/backups:/home/steam/backups
    ports:
       - 2456:2456/udp
       - 2457:2457/udp
       - 2458:2458/udp #"4567:4567"
    environment:
      - NAME="ServerName"
      - WORLD="WorldName"
      - PASSWORD=replaceme
      - PUID=${USERID}
      - PGID=${USERGROUP}
      - PUBLIC=0
      - PORT=2456
      - AUTO_UPDATE=0
#      - UPDATE_CRON=
#      - RESTART_CRON=
      - TZ=${TZ}
      - PERMISSIONS_UMASK=${UMASK}
    networks:
      - synology
    network_mode: host
    restart: always

##NETWORKS
networks:
    synology:
        external: true

Working perfectly for me now.

Code:
version: "3.9"
services:
  valheim:
    image: mbround18/valheim
    container_name: valheim
    volumes:
      - ${SSD}valheim/saves:/home/steam/.config/unity3d/IronGate/Valheim
      - ${SSD}valheim/data:/home/steam/valheim
      - ${SSD}valheim/backups:/home/steam/backups
    ports:
       - 2456:2456/udp
       - 2457:2457/udp
       - 2458:2458/udp #"4567:4567"
    environment:
      - NAME="ServerName"
      - WORLD="WorldName"
      - PASSWORD=replaceme
      - PUID=${USERID}
      - PGID=${USERGROUP}
      - PUBLIC=0
      - PORT=2456
      - AUTO_UPDATE=0
#      - UPDATE_CRON=
#      - RESTART_CRON=
      - TZ=${TZ}
      - PERMISSIONS_UMASK=${UMASK}
    networks:
      - synology
    network_mode: host
    restart: always

##NETWORKS
networks:
    synology:
        external: true

Working perfectly for me now.
Are you suggesting that I run this as a stack in pertained? Just making sure that I'm on the same page! Thanks!
-- post merged: --

This is the bit you need to consider ...
View attachment 3169

The Container Port is only accessible within the Docker environment. To access the Container Port there is an assigned Local Port which defaults to being dynamically assigned when the container is run. You can manually assign the Local Port so that it is always the same.

If your NAS's LAN IP is 192.168.50.254 then to access Container Port 2456 you will use 192.168.50.254:32791 (based on the screenshot).
So, I need to change the port forwarding on the router to 32791?

So, I need to change the port forwarding on the router to 32791?
If that is the LAN port that has been assigned to map to the container's port. But if you've changed the LAN port then the Internet router's port forwarding would be to the new LAN port.

@bdpope88
I don't use the Synology GUI for docker...
In my case (IF using that in it's own yml called valheim.yml)
I'd SSH into my NAS.
Navigate to the folder it's in.
sudo docker-compose -f valheim.yml pull
sudo docker-compose -f valheim.yml up -d

But yes, you could put that into portainer. (I assume you were auto-corrected to pertained).

Anyone setting Valheim Plus with the Docker interface in Synology? I go through some instructions online but still not very sure how to make the Valheim Plus work in my Synology NAS or is it already there but I need to set the environment to trigger it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.