Question Contemplating NAS on an old router

NAS
None yet
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all
I have an old Airport Extreme that works, both net and USB, however it does not show under Network in my win10 explorer. An IP scanner finds it as 10.0.1.1. Trying that IP in a browser tab does not open it.
My question is how to find out if the router will support the NAS, before its purchase.
Thanks.

Hi all
I have an old Airport Extreme that works, both net and USB, however it does not show under Network in my win10 explorer. An IP scanner finds it as 10.0.1.1. Trying that IP in a browser tab does not open it.
My question is how to find out if the router will support the NAS, before its purchase.
Thanks.
The fact that the AE doesn't show up doesn't mean that there will be a problem. Is AE the only network device in your LAN? If the AE is not in the same network subnet it will ofc not show up on your browser of your local pc if they are in a separate network subnet.

There is almost 0 chance that a NAS will not work with any router out there today. Describe your network setup a bit before we move forward.

It's not clear what you mean here. The Airport Extreme is a network device that is configured through the Airport Utility application, not a [Web] browser. Last time I powered up my old AE I'm sure it supported AFP and SMB file sharing when a suitably formatted USB drive was connected: I don't recall it supporting WebDAV or any other HTTP/HTTPS service.

I used to run a couple of AE with one as the main Internet firewall/router and LAN DHCP server. I didn't have any issue with AE working with other network devices, including Synology NAS.

Describe your network setup a bit before we move forward.

Just the AE and a NoName ISP provided modem with 2 extra Ethernets. Used exclusively, without AE, not even that shows up under Network, even though it works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.