Continue with single NAS setup or add another ?

Currently reading
Continue with single NAS setup or add another ?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Dears,

At last, I managed to build a home LAN. The LAN includes a NAS device and two IP cameras as of now.

I am in the middle of cameras setup and want to know if the current setup will function well or it is better to add another NAS device.

Inventory :
1. POE Switch of 16 ports
2. NAS device of 3 disks in an SHR volume
3. IP Cameras

Can I user the NAS for both camera recording and regular file/media/docker services or it is adviced to separate these two functions into two NAS devices ? I already found in the forum that it is adviced not to mix recording and other functions on a NAS.

I am no expert, if I were in this situation I would ask too. BUT: I think most file serving (nas) duty is super low power. Camera duty would be more intensive I would have to think. If buying another nas is not an option, I think maybe buying a cctv rated hdd as your 4th drive slot, making it its own volume and using that volume as your camera drive would work? no? (just voicing my amateur opinion to see what happens is all)

Upvote 0
Well. I have no idea as of now of the footage since I did not complete setting up the cameras (planned to install 4 cameras). But in near time there will be footage going through this LAN and God knows what will it be like !

Upvote 0
Well. I have no idea as of now of the footage since I did not complete setting up the cameras (planned to install 4 cameras). But in near time there will be footage going through this LAN and God knows what will it be like !
Your LAN should be able to handle the traffic without any issue, look up your switch and see what its rated for. My 24 port 1gbe switch is rated for 48gb throughput, and mine is an ancient netgear managed switch... I bet your POE is rated for something similar? I am sure the switch can handle it. And I bet your DS920 can handle it too? Obviously a dedicated device would be better, but its easy to say "buy another one" and much harder to do :)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Your LAN should be able to handle the traffic without any issue, look up your switch and see what its rated for. My 24 port 1gbe switch is rated for 48gb throughput, and mine is an ancient netgear managed switch... I bet your POE is rated for something similar? I am sure the switch can handle it. And I bet your DS920 can handle it too? Obviously a dedicated device would be better, but its easy to say "buy another one" and much harder to do :)
When I calculated needed bandwidth of say 5 cameras of 8MP recording each, in H.265 medium compression and 15 FPS, the result is 35.8 Mbit/s ! Now I think it is safe to expect a 1Gbe network and 36 Gbps switching capacity to withstand security system footage along with normal/moderate file/media/docker operations. I think I am mixing network capacity with the practice of storing security system continuous footage recording activity and file/media writing activity on the same RAID array! Is this practice prone to risk or harmful to the array ??

Upvote 0
When I calculated needed bandwidth of say 5 cameras of 8MP recording each, in H.265 medium compression and 15 FPS, the result is 35.8 Mbit/s !
In my case, single-camera recording in 2K (2650x1440)@15fps runs about 300KB/s from a network standpoint.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 09.39.55.png

Is this practice prone to risk or harmful to the array ??
Best practice suggests to even run SS footage on EXT4 drives (array), and not BTRFS, but over the years I have not seen any problem in running it over btrfs or on a mixed volume.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.