Currently reading
Convert BTRFS to EXT4?

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I plan to use my NAS as a web server. After doing a little research, I discovered that using EXT4 is better option than using BTRFS. Assuming that this is true, what is the best way to accomplish the conversation? Fortunately, my NAS has been used only for Hyper Backup and serving basic user file types like jpeg, mp4, txt, pdf, etc. All other nonessential packages can be uninstalled before the conversation. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Assuming that this is true, what is the best way to accomplish the conversation?
Not sure what info you were reading, but ext4 would be a favorite format for a surveillance operations, but that aside, you can’t covert volumes.

Backup, destroy, recreate (as ext4) and restore.

Upvote 0
I discovered that using EXT4 is better option than using BTRFS
Be careful with all you read about btrfs on the 'net. Synology's adaptation bypasses those shortcomings. Stepping away from btrfs also means stepping away from several "advanced" Synology packages and features exclusive to btrfs formatted systems.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Not sure what info you were reading, but ext4 would be a favorite format for a surveillance operations, but that aside, you can’t covert volumes.

Backup, destroy, recreate (as ext4) and restore.
Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately, I haven't tried configure Surveillance Station yet.

I have a few more questions/observations. I'm assuming that I should remove my NAS from my Synology account before I rebuild it to use EXT4, correct? I'm also assuming that DSM won't complain about restoring files that weren't backed up using EXT4, correct? I'm also assuming that a factory reset reverts the entire NAS back to it's original state in one step, correct?
-- post merged: --

Be careful with all you read about btrfs on the 'net. Synology's adaptation bypasses those shortcomings. Stepping away from btrfs also means stepping away from several "advanced" Synology packages and features exclusive to btrfs formatted systems.

Thanks for the tip.

How do you suggest that I conduct more research on how BTRFS affects web server performance?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I'm assuming that I should remove my NAS from my Synology account before I rebuild it to use EXT4, correct?
Incorrect. Leave the account alone.
I'm also assuming that DSM won't complain about restoring files that weren't backed up using EXT4, correct?
Correct.
I'm also assuming that a factory reset reverts the entire NAS back to it's original state in one step, correct?
Presuming you are referring to the one in Control Panel (as opposed to the reset button)
ctCOngT.png

How do you suggest that I conduct more research on how BTRFS affects web server performance?
I can't address that specifically... however, anecdotally Synology's btrfs implementation has met with broad acceptance, and personally, I am unaware of any grievance WRT btrfs, apart from the recommendation that ext4 is preferred for Surveillance Station use.

Upvote 0
The only solid proof for this particular model would be to run your web server on the same device with ext4 and btrfs fs and draw the conclusion on your own.

Personally, I have multiple websites hosted on btrfs and have had no problems at all. If anything the main issue will start with the web server platform rather than the file system under it.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.