Currently reading
Convert CR2 RAW photos to other formats question

NAS
923+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I didn't see any possible way to run conversion from CR2 files (Canon RAW photo format) to any other like jpg, dng etc...

I have a lot of files (about 1T) from my hobby with family pictures in CR2 format. Part I have converted using Lightroom once I had cloud account in Adobe.
Now I'm not working with, but still have a lot not converted files.

I have to convert all of them first and than delete unused and unneeded files, by review. But to do review in CR2 it takes a lot of time as big size of picture couldn't be quickly uploaded and removed as needed.

May some trick could be used to quality conversion from CR2 format using batch settings to provide setup also folders rules for new files place.

Thanks,
Alex

There are probably free ways of doing this but my, non-free, way would be to use GraphicConverter on Mac. There's a trial.

Also, there's Acorn or Retrobatch (odd company name, and I had a purchase query from my card company. Probably because it was in US and I'm in UK, but blimey it was embarrassing to explain it). Again, not free. Acorn would be via Automator.

They have Automator support for conversion, as does Mac itself. So if you are comfortable with creating an Automator app or service then you can batch convert to using that... I assume macOS supports CR2, it does for my Nikon NRW. This is a dropper app (drop the files on the saved Automator app) that is the sort of thing, using the builtin converter. I would test it first on a demo set of images. Also change the folder that the copies of the image files are saved to before they are converted.
1679577541849.png

I just noticed that if you select the image files in Finder you can convert to JPEG, PNG, or HEIF and this looks to be a default macOS feature...
1679576849583.png

You might even be able to just use Gallery view in Finder. But that may depend on your Mac and macOS.

I have see all possibility here is on host conversion using network share access.
My question is more to ru conversion on syno as process inside of server (NAS). As I don't have a standalone PC (only notebook) for conversion process will take a most time to proceed 1TB of RAW content.
But background process on NAS could be usable.

Any idea for Syno?

At the end the way to convert batch of huge amount RAW files is Image Magic.
He could be installed on DSM using syno community and could be run not only via SSH (as with bg and disown commands to run when ssh session stopped and use logged out) also could be configured as user defined task in TaskScheduler.

So now I'm running batch conversion (already more than 16 hours) with full functionality of Syno (50% of CPU are used only).

I hope this information will help others with same required actions.

The topic could be closed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back