Currently reading
copy file from windows to nas

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
wasn't sure where to post this as I'm not sure how to reference it, I think it's under SMB. When I dl a file from the net to the nas file explorer opens, I hit the ds920 and the folders show. I then goto the folder and hit save. Recently when I hit the DS920 the folders appear, but I can't do anything as it's dimmed for up to a minute at times. Once it comes alive, all is fine. is there a reason or fix for this. TIA

Ok, not sure what's going on but I found something odd. @Gerard helped me setup my apps and my access outside of my network. Everything is great and I haven't changed a thing.

This morning I went to download a video to my nas. I hit save-to and the explorer opens. I then click on my NAS in quick access which opens, but the file name area is greyed out and eventually 40 seconds to a minute, comes up.

Tried a reboot of everything, "Router, switch nas, pc," no change. Cleared caches, temps, DNS cache etc.

Just now I disabled the firewall, which has had no changes since Gerard, "guided me," in building and hasn't been touched since.

tried pulling up the nas and it sprang right into action without the firewall. Any Ideas.

Last edited:
I then click on my NAS in quick access which opens, but the file name area is greyed out and eventually 40 seconds to a minute, comes up.
I’ve experienced this too occasionally, especially when first connecting to my nas via smb.

Just now I disabled the firewall, which has had no changes since Gerard, "guided me," in building and hasn't been touched since.

tried pulling up the nas and it sprang right into action without the firewall.
It probably connected right away because an initial connection was already made to smb earlier. I wouldn't think the delay is due to the firewall.
-- post merged: --

Also try disabling ipv6 and see if that helps

When I disabled the firewall I rebooted everything and it worked fine. As soon as I re enabled the Fw it slowed again.

I rebuilt by copying yours and then switching to the new one, minus the 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0. Everything is now back to normal. Could the IP have changed causing the first rule to slow it down? No clue.

Could the IP have changed causing the first rule to slow it down?

No, the first rule is for the whole subnet so any ip in that subnet is allowed. The connection could be cached with the computer now which is why it’ll connect right away. Like mentioned I’ll see it once in a blue moon too, when using the quick access and almost never using the mapped drive.

I'll try it for a day or two and put back your initial line and see what happens. Did disable the IPV6 in Synology, not in windows yet. Following you experts on the Synology link you gave above. Glad I tried what I did though, at least I got it back to how it was when you finished. Again I jumped the gun and posted here first!

Hitting the sack before something else happens.🙃

By removing the first line, are you able to connect to the nas using the ip address? Remember if you try using your ddns name that was going out to the internet and back since your router didn’t support NAT loop back.

If you removed that first line you shouldn’t be able to locally connect to the nas such as smb.
-- post merged: --

I just tested in turning off the local subnet on my end I actually get a pop up saying can’t do it because then I’d be blocked from accessing the nas so then it reverted.

Yes, removing the first line, 192.168.1.25/255.255.255.0, I can still smb, Remember, I had the management UI under that line as I was paranoid about it.

But, I put yours back and disabled IPV6 on the pc and that worked. Just had to fix ABB which I've always have problems with. It hates me;)

Yes, removing the first line, 192.168.1.25/255.255.255.0, I can still smb, Remember, I had the management UI under that line as I was paranoid about it.

But, I put yours back and disabled IPV6 on the pc and that worked. Just had to fix ABB which I've always have problems with. It hates me;)

Can you send another screenshot of those firewall rules you’re referring to. The first line was a what they call any/any rule; any ports on any ip of your local lan. Also the first line was never 192.168.1.25, but 182.168.1.0 for subnet.

If you removed the first line and was still able to access then that means you had another duplicate rule somewhere else, which means the first rule wasn’t doing anything any way

If you removed the first line and was still able to access then that means you had another duplicate rule somewhere else, which means the first rule wasn’t doing anything any way
Right
fw.JPG

So with this current rule set, if you removed the first line your still able to access smb? Management is different if using ddns name that is using the US rule if using local ip of nas it uses rule 1.

I’d expect if you remove rule 1 things like smb and local ip connections to the nas would break. Additionally, the nas should be able to detect this as an anti lockout and will not allow you to remove rule 1.

You mentioned you created another fw profile which removed rule 1. On that profile did you add another rule after removing rule 1?

No, I just left the management UI which I learned from tutorials that it's a must unless you like resetting the nas to regain access to dsm.

Ok see if disabling ipv6 makes the issue somewhat better. I don’t think it will disappear completely since like I mentioned I see it from time to time and I have ipv6 disable, but it’s pretty quick that I just let it go.

If it’s still an issue we’d have to dig more into it

See your quote in msg 9 as I disable IPV6 in the nas which worked, the is a slight delay but that's fine as it's not a minute. I also did it in the network settings of the pc but didn't see a difference which is cool.

I can get the same results by disabling the firewall. Weird!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.