Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Hi hive mind. When I copy photos and videos from my Photo Library to the Shared Photo Library, sometimes the modified timestamp is overwriten by the copy timestamp (rather than the original capture date-and-time) and sometimes it doesn't, keeping the original. I can't work out why or how Moments decides to make this change.

This only affects the timeline view, not the folder view (i.e. the photos sorted by the original source library) in the Shared Photo Library, which is obv annoying!

Any thoughts?

edit : copying photos and videos in Moments from a User photo library to the Shared Photo Library causes the Modified Date on each file to update. Timeline view in the Shared Photo Library then indexes off this new Modified Date. The screenshot below is from files in the Shared Library showing the new modified date vs the Creation datetimestamp on the original file.

So : how do I stop Moments from updating the Modified Date when copying photos from within a User library to the Shared Library?

Screenshot 2021-05-18 22.14.01.png

Upvote 0
EDIT : this happens only to .MP4 files, not jpeg, .mov. heic etc etc

For .mp4 only, the Moments Shared Photo Library orders them by modified date not creation date - and so I can't copy mp4 files into the Shared Photo Library without it causing havoc to the Shared timeline view.

Synology are trying to recreate this and see if it's a general bug, but can anyone else verify this is the case?

Upvote 0
I've just used Moments to copy a mp4 video file to the shared album. The new file's modified date is set to now but Moments displays it in the timeline as previous. Seems it's using the creation date or an embedded date. This was a video file that was taken on a Nikon camera and cropped a day later (1st April): I think I used iMovie to do it, first time in years.

Upvote 0
I've just used Moments to copy a mp4 video file to the shared album. The new file's modified date is set to now but Moments displays it in the timeline as previous. Seems it's using the creation date or an embedded date. This was a video file that was taken on a Nikon camera and cropped a day later (1st April): I think I used iMovie to do it, first time in years.
ah so you can't recreate my issue?

I'm copying the mp4 from the user Library to the Shared Library through Moments itself, not via Drive

If you can't recreate it then I suspect the issue is in Android mp4 naming conventions, not just the fact of it being mp4

1621694996847.png

1621694889058.png

1621695026459.png

Upvote 0
I've just used Moments to copy a mp4 video file to the shared album.
Too lazy to try a different way after logging into Moments on my Mac: used the dropdown menu to copy from My Photo Library to Shared Photo Library.

1621696028001.png

Repeated using iOS Moments with the original video file: same result... it worked.

Upvote 0
EDIT : this happens only to .MP4 files, not jpeg, .mov. heic etc etc

For .mp4 only, the Moments Shared Photo Library orders them by modified date not creation date - and so I can't copy mp4 files into the Shared Photo Library without it causing havoc to the Shared timeline view.

Synology are trying to recreate this and see if it's a general bug, but can anyone else verify this is the case?
-- post merged: --

Edit 31May21 : Synology support recognise this as a bug. Their response is that unless a video has the following XMP tag then Moments will look to the modification date not the creation date when ordering those videos after a copy event - and that the modification date will be the copy event date

all videos :
XMP.video.Date.UTC
(In UTC %Year:%Month:%Date:%Time format)
quicktime videos :
Xmp.xmp.com.apple.quicktime.creationdate

So that leads to 2 questions
1) where can I find this Tag? Synology supprt tells me that some of my videos have it, and some don't, but can't explain to me where to find it
2) if I find the Tag, can I edit it? Can I bulk edit at the same time?

Upvote 0
Have checked the MP4 file that I did the test in Moments.

I selected it in GraphicConverter and in the ExifTool tab of the info panel this is the QuickTime tag data...
1622453932092.png

And these are the dates from the file system...
1622453898604.png

You can get the command line utility ExifTool and script something with that: a bash script wrapped up as a drop-on application using Mac's Automator is how I've used it... I was trying to work out how to convert Catalina's Photos library use of uniquely named originals into a date folder structure with date-time-sequence named files. It's doable, but I'd work on a copy of the original files, at least until you're happy t of the outcome.

Otherwise look for an application that can do it: ExifTool's website has a list of apps that use it. For me that would be GraphicConverter: as I can easily add GPS tags for when I've not used my camera's companion app on iOS ... thus saving battery on both devices.

I looked in the free NX Studio from Nikon and it doesn't seem to have the ability to edit these date tags.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.