Copying Time Machine folders from NAS to Mac

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello all!!

My Mac Time Machine operation gave me the dreaded verification error and Time Machine wants to basically reset itself. This is not an option as my current Time Machine (TM) backups on my NAS include 3 years of data for a large media product development. The TM is working fine as it is allowing me to access the files and iterations stored there but not allowing continued backup.

I built a 16TB external USB drive and figured I would simply copy the existing TM folder from the NAS to the external drive so that I would be able to continue this access once I reset the TM. But, how do I copy the TM folder from my NAS on the network directly to an external drive attached to my Mac? The TM external drive must be formatted Mac/Journaled for TM to work properly, so thinking the direct USB port on the NAS won't work. Of course, drag and drop within Finder results in "an unexpected error occurred (error code - 8060). I am connected to the NAS from my Mac through SMB at the moment and it has worked well until now.

Hope someone here can help me through this horrifying ordeal! Thanks in advance!!

Well, I created a share within DSM and it seems to be working, "preparing to copy". My bad, I had shared the TM file, not the folder but was attempting to copy the folder. Hoping this works...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.