Creating a Snapshot Replication - Failed to authenticate the destination server?

Currently reading
Creating a Snapshot Replication - Failed to authenticate the destination server?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm trying to set up snapshot replication to backup my laptop Activebackups from my local NAS to an offsite NAS.

Currently, both NAS are on the same LAN as I'm trying to do the first initial large backups on my LAN before moving the 2nd NAS offsite.

I have Snapshot Replication installed on the destination NAS. I wanted to make sure that the username I was going to use in SR to login to the destination NAS had user permissions for SR in the destination NAS, but SR does not show up in the application list.

1609130021676.png

Anyways, I have created a snapshot. When I try to create a replicate task pointing to the 2nd NAS, I get an error saying that it failed to authenticate the destination server. What am I doing wrong?

1609129855052.png

Solution
What am I doing wrong?
A user on the destination side doesn't have to be the same one as your source side. As long as it is an administrator rank user it will work.

Considering that you can't use a custom port for SR other than 5566/TCP there could be a problem with your DSM port/account. If they are both in the same network, network communication shouldn't be a problem, unless you have it locked down on a firewall end as @WST16 said.
What am I doing wrong?
A user on the destination side doesn't have to be the same one as your source side. As long as it is an administrator rank user it will work.

Considering that you can't use a custom port for SR other than 5566/TCP there could be a problem with your DSM port/account. If they are both in the same network, network communication shouldn't be a problem, unless you have it locked down on a firewall end as @WST16 said.

Upvote 0
Solution
Last edited:
I wasn't using an admin-level user. A couple add-on questions:

1. I have 2FA set up on the admin user on the 2nd NAS. how does that work with Replicate?
2. Snapshot is to save a local snapshot (takes snapshot of local nas, saves snapshot to same nas) while Replicate takes a snapshot of local nas and saves it to remote nas? Do I need to have a snapshot task in order to have a replicate task? I'm thinking the 2 features are not tied together?
-- post merged: --

3. how do I set replicate up for a truly remote connection once I do the initial backup on my LAN? Once I move the 2nd NAS to the remote LAN, do I need to port-forward 5566 to the 2nd nas, or can I set up reverse proxy for replicate somehow? Not sure exactly how it works when its asking for both a dsm port and the replicate 5566 port. I will be setting up the 2nd nas with reverse proxy on the remote LAN so that I'll have something like dsm2.nas2.synology.me. Is that all I need to point the replicate IP address towards, or will I need a replicate-specific RP somehow?

Upvote 0
I don’t have an answer, but clarify one thing please, what is “remote”?
In your first post you said offsite (that’s why I mentioned the firewall).
Now you’re saying dsm2.nas2.synology.me, is this the same one we worked with before? It’s on the same subnet, isn’t it?

I'm trying to set up the network below. For this post, I am trying to complete the legs that are circled. For the initial setup, I'm backing up all the NAS on my LAN so that I'm not trying to upload everything over the internet because my upload speed sucks. Once I do the first initial backup, then I'll migrate the DS220+ to my dad's LAN. Remote/offsite backup is the end goal. re-reading my post, I should have clarified that the first line about offsite NAS was the end-goal; both NAS are currently on-site.

For the 3rd question, what I'm trying to figure out is what I need the destination address to be in Replicate on the RS1219+ on my LAN so that it can talk to the DS220+ once it is migrated to dad's LAN. I have them talking right now when both are on the same LAN and want to know what I need to set up prior to or after moving the DS220+ offsite.

1609210653928.png

Upvote 0
1. I have 2FA set up on the admin user on the 2nd NAS. how does that work with Replicate?
You will need to enter it while setting up a remote replication task
Screenshot 2020-12-29 at 08.10.29.png

Do I need to have a snapshot task in order to have a replicate task? I'm thinking the 2 features are not tied together?
No there is no need to have a local one. Yes, those are 2 separate options

3. how do I set replicate up for a truly remote connection once I do the initial backup on my LAN? Once I move the 2nd NAS to the remote LAN, do I need to port-forward 5566 to the 2nd nas, or can I set up reverse proxy for replicate somehow? Not sure exactly how it works when its asking for both a dsm port and the replicate 5566 port. I will be setting up the 2nd nas with reverse proxy on the remote LAN so that I'll have something like dsm2.nas2.synology.me. Is that all I need to point the replicate IP address towards, or will I need a replicate-specific RP somehow?
You will need to have 5566 open on the destination side to make this work. Your destination DSM can be RPed to get to the NAS from your source side, but there is nothing you can do about snapshots via RP, just open the port and it will connect once you authenticate on the NAS that will be your target.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
You will need to enter it while setting up a remote replication task
View attachment 2678

Yes, i did that. Will I need to continue doing 2fa each time replication runs?
-- post merged: --

also, just to clarify your comments about the remote access. Will I need to set up an SR-specific RP, or will I be using the DSM RP? If I need an SR-specific RP, how do I go about setting it up? According to the list of synology ports, it uses 3261 for LUN and 5566 for shared folder. You just said that I can't RP 5566, and SR doesn't show up in my application list to tweak any of the application port settings, so I'm guessing it just needs the DSM RP?

Upvote 0
Will I need to continue doing 2fa each time replication runs?
No

Will I need to set up an SR-specific RP, or will I be using the DSM RP? If I need an SR-specific RP, how do I go about setting it up? According to the list of synology ports, it uses 3261 for LUN and 5566 for shared folder. You just said that I can't RP 5566, and SR doesn't show up in my application list to tweak any of the application port settings, so I'm guessing it just needs the DSM RP?
Correct. You can't RP Snapshot. Just make sure that the DSM UI is RPed and accessible, authenticate and open 5566 port for replication.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.