Currently reading
Creating shared subfolders

NAS
DS723+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi. I've looked up how to do this, tried to under file station and control panel and all I can do is create shared folders next to each other but never a subfolder. I'm sure it's easy once you know but I can't figure it out. Any guidance? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I figured out how to do that but are those shared folders like the root folders? Any insight on best practices on a hierarchy of folders for Media assets shared by everyone and individual backups for 2 users? I was thinking a Media folder with subfolders of photos, videos, music, etc... then Individual users root folders with backups, maybe photos and videos that aren't shared. I'm not sure but any insight would be great. Using the NAS as a LAN for small business purposes and family purposes.

Does the share extend to the subfolders or is it only at the root leve? It's not obvious to me that the subfolders are also shared folders because the root folder is.

Last edited:
The Shared Folders are what can be mounted in Mac's Finder using SMB or AFP file sharing service. The contents, files and folders, in Shared Folders are accessible in Mac's Finder once you've connected to the Shared Folder. So the subfolders cannot be Shared Folders. Maybe your question is due to the way macOS has allowed any folder to be assigned as a shared folder using the Get Info window. Such as like this...

1715878457715.png

If you have enabled User Home in Control Panel then each user will have a 'Home' shared folder: this is presented as a Shared Folder when a user connects using DSM or file sharing but the actual real folder for 'Home' is /homes/<username>, where the homes Shared Folder is only accessible to administrator users.

This is a built-in feature for providing separated storage for users.

1715878170002.png

Depending on the media packages you use on the NAS will determine some of the ways that media content is filed. Some packages will provide personal libraries features that rely on User Home being activated. For shared libraries there are default Shared Folders created, and some packages allow you to use your own structure. But it's best to at least separate out media by type into different folder or Shared Folder structures.

Maybe if you installed some of the media packages then you'd see how things work.

An active, reach thread on media packages and storage locations.

Thanks for your response and the link. It helps explain things a bit better. I've got a sonos system I want to link the music to so thought I'd just create a music folder under media that it and anyone in the house could access but I think you're suggesting I create it as a shared root folder and not as a subfolder? Same with photos, videos etc...? I thought for organizational purposes having fewer shared root folders like media and creating subfolders photos, music, video under categories that made sense would be the best way to go if those subfolders could be accessed by anyone I gave permissions to. Rather than shared root folders or music, photos, videos... I'm still not sure the best way to go and for security purposes to I create these under admin so everyone can have access or does that weaken the security of the system? I appreciate the feedback and recommendations. I think if I can figure out the best direction to go now, I'll learn on the fly by dabbling in the system but right now am still a bit confused as to how it all works.

Separately for user backup, I figured that would go under each user login and if we wanted to share anything could copy over to the shared media directory. That make sense and is it best to use Time Share on Mac or whatever Synologies backup program is or something else that people have more success with but doesn't take a computer programer to figure out?

Regarding the Sonos system, if you are planning to mount the music media using SMB file sharing then first check that Sonos supports SMB v2 or v3. SMB v1 is well-known to be vulnerable and has been actively exploited in recent years. In DSM's Control Panel for File Services you will find the SMB settings, where now the default minimum version is v2. I hear Windows now defaults to v2 too. I'm telling you this because Denon HEOS, last time I checked, only supported SMB v1 file access and so I decided it was best to avoid this method of accessing media.

You might find that Sonos supports accessing media on DLNA/UPnP servers, if it does then you can run Media Server. The folders that you tag as 'music' type in Control Panel's Indexing Service will be available to Media Server. They will also be available in Audio Station.As mentioned in the other thread, only Audio Station's personal library feature requires a fixed folder location, the user's /home/music folder. This is the method I use to access music in HEOS.

Video Station can use its default /video Shared Folder, or any 'video' type indexed folder. There is no personal video library concept in VS. Only Synology Photos insists in specific folder locations: personal space is /home/Photos; shared space is /photo. An administrator user has to enable the shared space feature from within the Photos web interface's Settings.

I have created a single Shared Folder where I have a folder structure that is divided into branches for music (subfolders for different formats, because I'm still years into the process of transitioning over and still don't want to rely on real-time transcoding) and video (films, tv shows, home movies, other stuff, etc). I have these indexed and both AS and VS use them. They are also used by my Plex server too, and this is the main way I access media on Mac, phones, Apple TV.

The media folder structure is down to what you are planning to use to access it. There's no use deciding before you consider the media serving packages and their requirements.

From the way you explain your thoughts it seems that you are just thinking of SMB file sharing access and having people mount the share and read/write the files. But do they really need this level of access?

Backing up Macs: I still have an old DS215j that runs SMB and adverts as Time Machine via Bonjour (again setup using Control Panel's File Sharing). I've never really needed to rely on this. I still run a weekly Carbon Copy Cloner task to USB drive that clones the boot drive. Until recently this was a surefire way to just boot the Mac from the USB drive and restore the internal drive from the USB. Not needed to do that recently but it might be better to use Mac's Migration Assistant with the cloned drive. There is also Synology's Active Backup for Business which you can maintain a full drive backup, with increments. I run this too, so I'm somewhat belt and braces covered :)

Now that macOS has separated the base OS into a separate and unwritable partition, and the customisation and user data into a second, there is the argument that it is pretty simple to reinstall your extra apps on a fresh build. And use cloud/NAS storage for the user data.

You should also run the Security Advisor in DSM to get guidance on things you can do to make the NAS more secure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.