Critique my backup structure...

Currently reading
Critique my backup structure...

Do I understand correctly that this is not advised?
HB is not 100% best solution when you want to use it with ABB (or any ABXXX package). It can work, but there are certain scenarios that it is best to focus on Snapshot Replication as your ABB backup method.

I assume this is needed?
SR is required on both source and destination as it is BTRFS

Any other suggestions to make an offsite backup of ABB data?
nothing that will be 100% secure and accurate as SR

Synology Drive?
Synology Drive would be one way, or the new C2 Backup (cloud) solution by Synology. Essentially it is ABB in the cloud but for a PC level it will work just fine. Also C2 Backup will not be just a file level backup, but as I said, an ABB alternative meaning you will have bare-metal restore options of the whole PC if needed.

If you are sticking to your on-premise devices, like your NAS, then Drive Server with a pc Drive client will allow you both sync and backup file level scenarios.

HB is not 100% best solution when you want to use it with ABB (or any ABXXX package). It can work, but there are certain scenarios that it is best to focus on Snapshot Replication as your ABB backup method.

Synology Drive would be one way, or the new C2 Backup (cloud) solution by Synology. Essentially it is ABB in the cloud but for a PC level it will work just fine. Also C2 Backup will not be just a file level backup, but as I said, an ABB alternative meaning you will have bare-metal restore options of the whole PC if needed.

If you are sticking to your on-premise devices, like your NAS, then Drive Server with a pc Drive client will allow you both sync and backup file level scenarios.
Thanks a lot! Very helpful!

Since the offsite NAS does not have BTRFS I will try HyperBackup to backup ABB data as well. Better than nothing. On top I will backup to an external USB drive as well for both regular shared folder backups and ABB folder as well. What drive format would you recommend for the USB drive, would a Synology BTRFS format increase chances of success / reliability of my backups?

would a Synology BTRFS format increase chances of success / reliability of my backups?
In short, it would yes. As much as there are users on the forum that do not favor BTRFS or think it's shady, to say the least, the fact is that if you are using a syno NAS it's either BTRFS or EXT4. In the case of an external disk, you have more options but just because those drives are intended to be used on different OS. If you plan to use it as NAS backup only, ABB backup at that, then there is no need to complicate things IMHO.

In short, it would yes. As much as there are users on the forum that do not favor BTRFS or think it's shady, to say the least, the fact is that if you are using a syno NAS it's either BTRFS or EXT4. In the case of an external disk, you have more options but just because those drives are intended to be used on different OS. If you plan to use it as NAS backup only, ABB backup at that, then there is no need to complicate things IMHO.
In DSM I was trying to find the option to format my external USB drive to BTRFS. However, I cannot seem to find it. NAS External Devices only offers EXT4 or FAT32, and the knowledge center also states this. Is it somewhere else in DSM? I feel uncomfortable using a third party tool as I am a Windows user and have no experience with Linux systems. Also not sure if it needs to be 'Synology proprietary' BTRFS and if that is different. In short: any tips? Or just select EXT4 after all, and take the risk on ABB backups?

Also not sure if it needs to be 'Synology proprietary' BTRFS
No need, no. You can prepare a BTRFS drive if you want outside your NAS ofc, but yes, using DSM for external drive you will have ext4 of fat as you already see.

ABB will work fine on ext4 drive as well.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to join this backup discussion, as I'm looking for some critical advice on my own backup plan myself.

I have purchased a DS920+ as an upgrade to my DS916+.
Data has already been transferred from the DS916.

The configuration is as follows:
DS920+
1X 2TB SSD (VOLUME 1, BAY 1)
2X 8TB HDD (VOLUME 2 SHR, BAY 2 and 3)

DS916+
2X 2TB HDD (VOLUME 1 SHR, BAY 1 and 2) (This holds the Original Data which I migrated to the new DS920)

Backup plan is as follows:

DS920+
1X 8TB HDD (VOLUME 3, in BAY 4)
So Volume 3 will be a backup drive for VOLUMES 1 and 2.
I was thinking to use Hyper-backup and Snapshot Replication.

DS920 VOLUME 1 AND 2 >> VOLUME 3 BACKUP DRIVE (Local backup on the same NAS.)

Step 2

DS916+
1X 8TB HDD (VOLUME 2, in BAY 3)
Volume 2 here will also be a backup drive for the DS920 (VOLUMES 1 and 2)
Backup method Hyperback and Snapshot Replication for the DS920.

DS920 VOLUMES 1 and 2 >> DS916 BACKUP DRIVE (VOLUME 2)

Option 2:

I place both 8TB HDDs in the DS916+ (SHR in BAY 3 AND 4, then becomes VOLUME 2) and backup the VOLUMES 1 and 2 from DS920 to here.

DS920 VOLUMES 1 and 2 >> DS916 BACKUP DRIVE, (VOLUME 2)
Backup method Hyperback and Snapshot Replication.

Optional
I can use my old DS211J as offside backup. I don't know if it is suitable for RP but it could be HB. I will have to buy some new HDDs first.

What do you guys think of this plan? Is it sufficient for now? Do I have a solid backup plan?
I would love to hear your opinions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.