Data checksum - yea or nae?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Still a New User....

Creating shared folders and copying files over. There's the option to enable data checksum. On or off?

I switched it on for the first folder full of files I was copying over but it seemed Very Slow. I dunno if that was anything to do with data checksum. Anyways, when is it in operation, is it a Good Thing? I see the note not recommending checksum with databases, VMs or video. None of those apply.

BTW I see in the support pages that enabling data checksum is also not recommended when "Running services that require a small and random write pattern".

Definition of small and random write pattern?

I do have lots and lots of 4Kb text files which have small - as in a few to a few dozen characters changed now and again.

I think it feels kind of safe with the checksum thing so I think I have it enabled on almost all folders.
Yea, that was my initial thought. I think I will enable it. I'm sure there's a downside but, you know, belt 'n' braces!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.