NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,
Might be a stupid question
I have 3.5TB data, but only 1 folder is really important for me. ata integrity protection is enabled only for this shared folder.

that means that data scrubbing would run on that folder only?
Or else it will run in the entire HDD but will be effective for that shared folder?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a detailed explanation of Synology's data scrubbing process that should answer your questions: Data Scrubbing.

Thank you, I read this article before.
But I don’t see where it stated clearly that data scrubbing running on enabled shared folder
Or else effective only for that folder (but calculation runs on all the disk)

Last edited:
Data scrubbing is targeted at a storage pool not a volume nor a shared folder.

Edit
There are two parts to data scrubbing: RAID scrubbing and 'btrfs' data scrubbing. The former is only applicable to RAID 5 and above where parity bits are used; the latter is performed on btrfs volumes and only those shared folders that have been created with this...
1617958937501.png

I understand. So if I have 12TB pool but only one shared-folder is important, let's say 100GB, enabling data integrity check (btrfs data scrubbing) to this folder only would reduce the stress on the disks and will be significantly shorter.

Sorry I asked twice it's just the terminology that wasn't clear to me.

Thank you!

Sorry I asked twice it's just the terminology that wasn't clear to me.
Synology doesn't help by calling it Data Scrubbing and then having two items under it: RAID scrubbing; data scrubbing. They could have called the latter btrfs integrity scrubbing/validation/check. TBH that link from @RoCaRay explains it pretty well, though it starts by saying data scrubbing is a process of inspecting volumes: nope, neither do that at volume level it's either at a storage pool or all shared folders of the storage pool (where data integrity is enabled) ... no not a volume per se.

Thanks for the follow-up, @fredbert. Appreciate your additional comments. The forum never sleeps; but some of us are just now waking up. Ron

Last edited:
The article focusing on RAID5, I’m using RAID1, so RAID scrubbing is not relevant.

The article focusing on RAID5, I’m using RAID1, so RAID scrubbing is not relevant.
But the [btrfs] data [integrity] scrubbing is relevant: it's the second half of the article. Synology cover both under one umbrella term of data scrubbing.

I don't think it matters if you accidentally read about RAID scrubbing too.

I don't think it matters if you accidentally read about RAID scrubbing too.
Absolutely, as stated, I read the article before. The reason for me asking in the forum is because I don't fully understand sometimes the terminology and wasn't sure how exactly it will operate in a scenario which never mention in the article.
That's why I needed you guys and thank you for that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.