Currently reading
DDNS access via browser

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Every year it seems I go through this and can never figure it out. On my mobile phone all of my Synology apps connect to my nas over the cellular network using my DDNS. However, I can't connect to the dsm via a phone browser using the ddns address.

On another note. I checked my certificates on the nas and noticed one was old. I told it to renew it, but it downloaded a zip instead. is this another bug or a new unexplained advancement on Synologies part? TIA

If it’s every year then that could be a certificate expiry issue related to whichever services are associated with that certificate. It does depend on how you get your certificates, and how you renew them.

I‘m using a personal domain that is maintained as DDNS using Namecheap. The certificates are from Let’s Encrypt and auto-renew in DSM. Just tested using Safari on iPhone, over 4G: it successfully logged in.

Do you have some more details about how you’re doing this?

If you're asking how I renew a certificate. I go to the certificate in question, highlight it, hit Action, Renew. Before it just renewed and I closed out the menu, This time however it downloaded a zip file which I have no idea what to do with.

cert.JPG

ok, everything is back to working. I rebooted my router, Nas, PC and phone and now it's working again. Don't ask me why as I did it before posting the message. Maybe it was my provider having issues. And yes I was using https as I have it bookmarked on my phone's browser. Just to be sure I disabled Wi-Fi to make sure it wasn't going through Wi-Fi and rolled down about a mile from my place. Still worked. I wanted to be absolutely sure!!! Thank guys. I didn't want Gerard to go through it again for something dumb I did.🙃

ok, everything is back to working. I rebooted my router, Nas, PC and phone and now it's working again. Don't ask me why as I did it before posting the message. Maybe it was my provider having issues. And yes I was using https as I have it bookmarked on my phone's browser. Just to be sure I disabled Wi-Fi to make sure it wasn't going through Wi-Fi and rolled down about a mile from my place. Still worked. I wanted to be absolutely sure!!! Thank guys. I didn't want Gerard to go through it again for something dumb I did.🙃

Sometimes I have the same issue once in a blue. A reboot of the router usually resolves, as well as Sometimes clearing the browser cache.

If you're asking how I renew a certificate. I go to the certificate in question, highlight it, hit Action, Renew. Before it just renewed and I closed out the menu, This time however it downloaded a zip file which I have no idea what to do with.

View attachment 13305
If you're trying to renew the certificate that's specifically created by ABB then isn't it a self-signed cert that has a doesn't expire for ages? I don't use it but it seemed to be a way to avoid the ABB agent silently stopping backing up when the certificate expired. Maybe it was expecting the renewed certificate to be signed and so exported it?

Last edited:
I thought the certificates were causing my remote issue which turned out to be false. ABB is still working so I'm not going to mess with it. I just noticed that it and the one marked Synology has a red date, and the others are green. Maybe it's just indicating it is about to expire. Also, the red ones both have a green check mark. I'll know either way in 2 days.🙃

certs.JPG

-- post merged: --

Don't ask me why but the one marked Synology was red when I screen grabbed it and still is, but the upload looks green 10/07/2023.

The US date format threw me until I realised there's no month 18 (what is the logical thinking of doing dates that way? were the British going it that way 250 years ago?). I digress. I think when there's around a month to go then DSM colours them amber/orange, once expired it's probably red (vague memory that's what happens).

It could be the issue lies with self-signed certificates, which Synology does create for you (though the DDNS ones for synology.me are done with Let's Encrypt). So it could be that the Synology apps are set to trust any cert. (signed or not) but web browsers are more strict and will either not load or ask what to do when experiencing and unsigned and/or expired cert.

The certs labeled RSA/ECC are probably signed and automatically renewed by Let's Encrypt. The others will need you intervention when the time comes. Personally I don't use the Synology self-signed certs, instead all mine are signed by LE, and DSM auto-renews them when the time comes. The DDNS synology.me certificates from LE can have a wildcard '*' subject alternative name: meaning you could assign in DSM any service name you like and, e.g. abb.myname.synology.me for ABB, and the certificate will work and keep working through renewals.

Hey guys. The ABBS certificate with Synology didn't renew. So, I removed it and re did one with LetsEncrypt with my DDNS and used Select to set it as default. I tested ABBS and my DS apps and everything is working. Hope I did the right thing. I guess I can remove the Synology certificate for ABBS since it's now the DDNS certificate!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.