DDNS failed.....

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm seeing an issue today whereby the DDNS settings on the DS918+ are blank (instead of the external IP being shown) and the NAS is reporting there is no external connectivity. On checking the Synology account for the connection that reports all is normal.

I've rebooted the NAS and it looking at the Synology account it now shows that DDNS is offline. Hostname and IP blanked out...
Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 17.53.45.jpg

Any ideas folks?

I've looked at this tread on and off, not enough to remember... is it only Synology DDNS that's affected?

Not sure if it’ll make a difference or not, but what if you install vDSM 6 and try. The only thing is that it might suffer the same because it’ll go through the same network stack (on DSM 7). But I’d try it if I were you.
This is definitely worth a shot.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Not sure if it’ll make a difference or not, but what if you install vDSM 6 and try. The only thing is that it might suffer the same because it’ll go through the same network stack (on DSM 7). But I’d try it if I were you.
I did mention that to Synology when I had the problem a while back and they recommended strongly against trying to go back to DSM6?
-- post merged: --

I've looked at this tread on and off, not enough to remember... is it only Synology DDNS that's affected?

This is definitely worth a shot.
It is DNS which looks to be affected and that indirectly causes the problem with DDNS. The NAS reports it can't get any traffic out beyond the Orbi router. An hour later it self fixes.

I can't afford to wreck or rebuild the NAS so I'd prefer not doing the hack to go back to DSM6. Synology specifically warned me against it.

At the moment I'm stable using the Orbi in AP mode with the ISP router. It has to be a DSM issue and I want Synology to fix it!

Upvote 0
I can't afford to wreck or rebuild the NAS so I'd prefer not doing the hack to go back to DSM6. Synology specifically warned me against it.
If you can run Virtual Machine Manager then you can run virtual DSM 6 on top of a NAS that's running DSM 7... it's like running two DSM NAS on the same hardware, at the same time (uses different IP addresses). There's no hack: I have vDSM 6 running on a DSM 7 NAS so that I can check out Photo Station (plus look at its interface when trying to help non-DSM 7 users).

Upvote 0
Here’s one (but it’s all DSM 6). I think it should be the same more or less. But better let @fredbert verify it first since he’s running it as you’d do (DSM 7/vDSM 6).
I’m running the opposite. I’m sticking with DSM 6 and running vDSM 7 :)

But the beauty of all this is that it’s virtual, so you can delete the whole thing and it’s like it was never there.

Upvote 0
Install VMM.
Download the latest vDSM 6 image from here:

Open VMM
  1. Image -> DSM Image -> Add : upload the downloaded image file.
  2. Storage -> Add : create some space to use for VMs. I use 200GB, forget why but it way more that I use.
  3. Virtual Machine -> Create : select to create a Synology Virtual DSM and follow the steps and use the image and storage already setup.
    1. CPU ... in the optional setting don't reserve threads (unless you want to tie some CPU to the VM).
    2. Storage virtual disk... in the optional settings you can select to enable space reclamation.
    3. Network will default to DHCP
    4. You don't probably want to assign mgmt permissions to other users.
    5. It'll use your free licence but it can be unmapped to re-use it.
Can't remember if the Storage step is need as I'm sure I just did steps 1 and 3 and Storage and Network got created if something wasn't available already.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Yep I've found the IP address that the router shows but if I try to hit the Web interface I get a refusal to connect....

Ahh just took a few minutes now I'm in! 30Gb allocated which should be fine for what I want to test.

The Orbi is back in router mode and I'm testing DSM7 in parallel with vDSM6 to see where the failures occur - if in one or both!? The tension mounts!

Hmm I'm now wondering if I moved my forum to the vDSM6 machine whether it'd be more stable (now that would be fun).

I guess you can't access / share files from the main DSM install to the vDSM system? Thinking here of the forum core files. Mind you if I end up copying the whole thing it'll involve the Maria DB as well so yeah a copy would be wise I guess.

Test first...... I must not be impatient.

Upvote 0
A quick update.......

DSM7 - still had the DDNS problems
DSM6 - no problems with DDNS at all

I did try turning off the firewall on DSM7 (as it was not turned on in DSM6), and no DDNS issues in 18 hours

On exchanging messages with Synology Support this morning they said it could not be a firewall issue so I've turned it back on. :)

They also advised:

I got the message from our developers.

When this issue occurs again, please try the following 2 methods.

1. Please change the LAN1 IP to another one and check this could help you.

2. If changing IP cannot help you, please try to set the LAN2 as the NAS default gateway.

Then check this issue could be solved.

If so, please keep it and inform us.
So I made the changes. With LAN1 set as default the DDNS issue occurred, with LAN2 set as default DDNS refreshed okay.
I've now changed the Orbi's port forwarding to point to LAN2 and all is looking good. No deas if it will be a fix, but I'll wait and see!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.