NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Bit of a newb question but if I want to give someone their own folder on my NAS and have them access it remotely, why use DDNS and port forwarding when QuickConnect will allow them to access it?

Here's the whitepaper on QuickConnect.

If you don't use QuickConnect relay service then what you're effectively left with is QuickConnect doing DDNS and port forwarding. I'm assuming you've disabled your router's UPnP security configuration feature, and you've already done manual port forwarding rules. So there's very little difference.

Using the relay service means the Internet client will make a HTTPS connection to the relay's proxy server. That connection is terminated there and then the relay server will make a second connection down an already established connection that the NAS has made out to the relay service. It' highly unlikely that QC relay service uses double encryption (a direct client to NAS connection inside the two half-connections (client to relay; relay to NAS)).

Thanks for this- very interesting.

My remote colleague is trying to upload to his folder on my NAS using QC. He can upload the placeholder files but the actual data won't upload. Any ideas? I checked permissions and ownership but no joy.

I would've said it was a permissions issue, but you say you've checked that it isn't. A long while back, I saw Mac Finder mounted shared folders (AFP? SMB? WebDAV? can't remember) being able to create new 'untitled folder' folders but then got stuck at trying to rename them. But this wasn't a QC issue; I think it was a permissions hierarchy problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.