Deficit of Synology NAS

Currently reading
Deficit of Synology NAS

my personal single 1813+, realtime synced to 1811+ by Drive Share Sync
Samba: from Win10 (1G Realtek Eth) to Shared folder under Drive 2.0 operation (index)
etx4, RAID1, Seagate ST1000NC001-1DY162, 931.5GB, 4k block size, SATA III

Single File: 1 996 488 704 Bytes = 1904MB
Time: 29.78sec
Avg speed: 67,041,259 Bps = 63.9MBps (511Mbps)

Bunch of 1806 Files in 431 Folders: 595 557 823 Bytes = 567MB .... avg size of single file 322kB (prety small)
Time: 49.81sec
Avg speed: 11,956,591 Bps = 11,4MBps (91Mbps)

For a comparison:
Target 1811+
Samba: from same Win10 to 1811+ Shared folder (index)
etx4, RAID1, Seagate ST3000VN000-1H4167, 2.7TB, 4k block size, SATA III

Single File: 1 996 488 704 Bytes = 1904MB ... identical from 1813+ test
Time: 84.25sec ...... +54sec than for 1813+
Avg speed: 23 697 195 Bps = 22,6MBps (181Mbps)

Two totally different Seagate HDDs in two different NAS.

Rest of them during week, tired now :cool:

Last edited:
@jeyare

Thanks for taking time for these tests! so:
  • DS1813+ @ 64MB/s <---> 1GigabitLAN
  • DS1811+ @ 22MB/s <---> 1GigabitLAN
I would expect they could be faster in fact. e.g. :
Mine Wx <-- GLAN --> DS412+, reading from DSM: ~75MB/s @SMB3 or AFP.

But I notice you use DRIVE, whcih acc. my observation is 1/3 ~1/4 the speed of direct copying.

To be sure, I measured again just now ~100MB/s! (upper is Activity Monitor@macOS, down is Resource Monitor@DS412+)
gLAN_mac2NAS.png

OK.
As I wrote, you can't compare just numbers, but whole architecture background, include data sample used for the testing.

Because avg "office" file size grew up (and will be), there is a time (for me) to migrate data from the 4K block structure to 512k, then I expect performance increase (when other architecture components will stay without change). Also to change etx4 to Btrfs (1813+ only).

Some recommendation:
For the precise evaluation don't use "system" speed measuring. Just do it with:
  • real data transfer samples (ordinary for your operation)
  • your stopwatch.

to be sure, between two of the NASs with NFS is the speed 108MBps (vs. best 63.9) for the single large file (1094MB). What is dramatic improvements just thanks to the NFS - same disks in same RAIDs, same LAN infra vs. SMB3. Of course, there is missing single point - the WIN based PC (mainboard, controller, disk) from previous test :) as data copy provider.

But you can imagine how different approach of data transfer can provide dramatic differences.

to be sure, between two of the NASs with NFS is the speed 108MBps (vs. best 63.9) for the single large file (1094MB). What is dramatic improvements just thanks to the NFS - same disks in same RAIDs, same LAN infra vs. SMB3. Of course, there is missing single point - the WIN based PC (mainboard, controller, disk) from previous test :) as data copy provider.

But you can imagine how different approach of data transfer can provide dramatic differences.

as the capacity of GigabitLAN: 1Gbps = 128MB/s, so >100MB/s is a reasonable fully performed result @itsjasper. I am satisfied with the DSM Resource showing > 100MB/s.

What did you mean by this?

but not really private/local cloud, e.g. "Active-backup" still need to login to Microsoft OneDrive account; Thus not practically useful.

I am having an issue with active-backup not backing up a OneDrive folder on a Windows 10 PC I setup? it seems that you might be talking about a similar issue.

this is the issue I am having from a post I just made on this site.....

So I set up a new Windows 10 PC and enable OneDrive to backup Desktop, Documents, and Photos to the users OneDriver folder (came with new office) everything was working as expected. Then I installed Synology Active backup and connected it to the NAS and backed up without an issue, two backups just in case. Then accessed I the Active Backup Portal to check to make sure the files I wanted were backed up. It appears the C: drive is backed up but I can not find the Desktop, Documents, and Photos folders and files. I know that Windows 10 moves them to a OneDrive folder in the user's folder and can see that on the PC but it seems that folder is not backing up to Active backup. I have done searches of Active backup for folder and file names that are in the Documents folder on the PC but they don't' seem to be in the Active backup. I do see one folder in Active Backup called OneDriveTemp but it is not what I am looking for.

Will Active backup skip the OneDrive files?

What did you mean by this?

but not really private/local cloud, e.g. "Active-backup" still need to login to Microsoft OneDrive account; Thus not practically useful.

I am having an issue with active-backup not backing up a OneDrive folder on a Windows 10 PC I setup? it seems that you might be talking about a similar issue.

this is the issue I am having from a post I just made on this site.....

So I set up a new Windows 10 PC and enable OneDrive to backup Desktop, Documents, and Photos to the users OneDriver folder (came with new office) everything was working as expected. Then I installed Synology Active backup and connected it to the NAS and backed up without an issue, two backups just in case. Then accessed I the Active Backup Portal to check to make sure the files I wanted were backed up. It appears the C: drive is backed up but I can not find the Desktop, Documents, and Photos folders and files. I know that Windows 10 moves them to a OneDrive folder in the user's folder and can see that on the PC but it seems that folder is not backing up to Active backup. I have done searches of Active backup for folder and file names that are in the Documents folder on the PC but they don't' seem to be in the Active backup. I do see one folder in Active Backup called OneDriveTemp but it is not what I am looking for.

Will Active backup skip the OneDrive files?
May I kindly ask you to move this post to proper part of this forum (e.g. Active backup package), however I'm totally lost in your description. Is it possible to use more white color in your wording? Because the dark red and also dark blue color of your text is not clear enough (also) for reading in Dark forum mode. Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.