DSM 7.0 Degraded Storage pool/volume options

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Degraded Storage pool/volume options

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,
I setup my DS920+ yesterday and after a bit of faffing around, got it recognised on my network. Everything was fine, but when I got up there was a storage pool/volume degraded alert and 1 of the HDD was no longer recognised. As I’d setup 1 pool incorporating all 3 HDD I appear to be stuck until I can get the drive replaced. Fortunately, all I’ve done is add some packages and test data, so no real harm done, but there could be some delay in getting the drive replaced, possibly up to 2 weeks.
As it stands I have 2x 8Tb available, but I’ve shutdown the NAS anyway. Can I delete the pool and create a smaller one and add another when the replacement arrives? Would I have been better off creating smaller pools and volumes as better practice?
Thanks for any advice.

As it stands I have 2x 8Tb available, but I’ve shutdown the NAS anyway. Can I delete the pool and create a smaller one and add another when the replacement arrives? Would I have been better off creating smaller pools and volumes as better practice?
Thanks for any advice.
1. If your backups aren't current, now is the time to remedy that.
2. No need to delete the pool, unless your heart is set on shrinking it. Just repair when the replacement device is available. The NAS is still available for use. Continue to maintain current backups.
3. There's no need in your use case for multiple pools or volumes. Generally speaking... one SHR pool (btrfs formatted, if possible), one volume, multiple shared folders.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
1. If your backups aren't current, now is the time to remedy that.
2. No need to delete the pool, unless your heart is set on shrinking it. Just repair when the replacement device is available. The NAS is still available for use. Continue to maintain current backups.
3. There's no need in your use case for multiple pools or volumes. Generally speaking... one SHR pool (btrfs formatted, if possible), one volume, multiple shared folders.
Thank you so much for your guidance. I didn’t realise I could continue to use the NAS, until I’d done something to the pool. I always planned to buy a 4th hdd at some stage, so have ordered 1 now which should be with me by the weekend. Once the failed drive is replaced, I wondered about using it as a hot spare. I’m googling to see what I can find out about the pros and cons.
All my data is backed up, but to about a dozen external HDD, one of the reasons I went down the NAS route! I also realised that some of them are over a decade old and 500Gb doesn’t go very far these days.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
-- post merged: --

Lol I’ve just found your thoughts on the subject of hot spares, so that’s saved me a lot of reading. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.