Degraded storage

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I did a restart on my DS718+ this evening, when it came back up it was in a disk 1 degraded status. I ran the smart checks and it said that disk 1 has failed.

I’ve attached the desktop storage manager screenshots.

I’ve had smart test scheduled and nothing has picked up until the restart. Some things that I saw in the logs were read error, I/o error, and something about a unc error.

Attachments

• 303C7296-804D-4C32-BCC5-BD5CB253078C.png
    303C7296-804D-4C32-BCC5-BD5CB253078C.png
    205 KB · Views: 65
  • 6D79781E-7FEA-442E-B106-AB8233DDE3C8.png
    6D79781E-7FEA-442E-B106-AB8233DDE3C8.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 63
Well, there is nothing mind-boggling. One drive in an SHR (RAID1) array has failed or is failing and needs to be replaced. Your array will work in degraded mode (a bit slower) and you need to replace the drive asap so that the array can repair itself.

Minimize your NAS usage if possible and make sure you have a backup of everything needed, considering that rebuild is a stressful process for the array and drives.

There is still open question for a data recovery from RAID vs. SHR - when you lost both (or all) disks in the pool. Still fan of RAID, than SHR for the simplicity of RAID disaster recovery. But I need to learn from real practice when someone exactly repair damaged disk from SHR1/2, specially from SHR2.

for those, who don't know basic about data repair from disk, see the link
then use link

Well, there is nothing mind-boggling. One drive in an SHR (RAID1) array has failed or is failing and needs to be replaced. Your array will work in degraded mode (a bit slower) and you need to replace the drive asap so that the array can repair itself.

Minimize your NAS usage if possible and make sure you have a backup of everything needed, considering that rebuild is a stressful process for the array and drives.

What’s mind boggling is that DS finder is saying the disks are both healthy.

I’ll be heading over this afternoon to replace the drive. I have a hyper backup of the whole box on another file server.

Attachments

• A46B6D82-1C8B-4EB3-B1D7-EC87E85EE7B9.png
    A46B6D82-1C8B-4EB3-B1D7-EC87E85EE7B9.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 40
What’s mind boggling is that DS finder is saying the disks are both healthy.

I’ll be heading over this afternoon to replace the drive. I have a hyper backup of the whole box on another file server.
the "Degradation" status is more important
Good luck with Rebuild Gerard. Send us an info about time of Rebuild (data structure and more). It will be interesting to know.

Last edited:
Volume has been repaired. Original disks were 1tb Western Digital Reds. I just put in a 4tb Seagate IronWolf at 415pm and the repair completed around 7pm. I did up the RAID Resync Speed Limits under configurations to "Run RAID resync faster. I have a second Seagate 4th Seagate IronWolf ready to go for the second drive.

I've also adjust the SMART scheduled tasks. Seems like the default schedule was monthly for quick test, and every 6 months for the extended test. I've changed this to weekly (Saturday early morning) for quick test, and monthly for the extended.

Looks like IronWolf also has its own Health Management; I will need to look into this.

There is still open question for a data recovery from RAID vs. SHR - when you lost both (or all) disks in the pool. Still fan of RAID, than SHR for the simplicity of RAID disaster recovery. But I need to learn from real practice when someone exactly repair damaged disk from SHR1/2, specially from SHR2.

for those, who don't know basic about data repair from disk, see the link
then use link

What would you use for disaster recovery if you lost a drive or the array in a regular raid?

I have the one disk that I pulled out of the SHR array that was throwing an error. I’d be happy to try and test plugging it in and try to recover or see some sort of files, but I don’t know what tools/applications could read from that SHR disk.

What would you use for disaster recovery if you lost a drive or the array in a regular raid?

I have the one disk that I pulled out of the SHR array that was throwing an error. I’d be happy to try and test plugging it in and try to recover or see some sort of files, but I don’t know what tools/applications could read from that SHR disk.
there is open different thread already - link

I’d be happy to try and test plugging it in and try to recover or see some sort of files, but I don’t know what tools/applications could read from that SHR disk.
If you have access to a Win PC and your NAS disk is ext4 formatted... try this...

If btrfs formatted, there is another solution.

If you have access to a Win PC and your NAS disk is ext4 formatted... try this...

If btrfs formatted, there is another solution.

Thanks, I am currently formatted with BTRFS, what's the other solution.

Again, this would only be experimental just to mess with; I have backup contingencies in place and don't actually need to recover the data.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.