Currently reading
Delete time Machine backup

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I searched using this subject but not finding. I have a 220+ and am fairly new at this. I was able to set up a Time machine backup for both my and wife's computer in the NAS. I additionally have an external 2T drive attached to USB for a secondary TM backup. My NAS file size limit for TM is 1T. On my MacBook Pro, the menu TM preferences state I don't have any more room in the NAS destination file. I tried a few things with no success. So from what I have been able to glean from web the best solution would be to delete file and start new backup. (I do not need to find old copies...this is simply for emergency access if my Mac dies).

So how do I delete the NAS TM backup file and start over?

So how do I delete the NAS TM backup file and start over?
Detach your Mac from that NAS TM job.

Locate the TM folder on your NAS that is configured as your TM destination. Inside delete the sparse image that is your MAC device, and then configure the TM service on your Mac again with your NAS.

Thanks for the fast reply and also putting this thread in the right place. I have turned off (removed the link to the drive location)) in the TM preferences. When I go to the File Station and choose "Time Machine" folder then choose my folder (as opposed to my wife's)... open it ...there are a number of files (see photo) do I delete all of these or specific ones?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.59.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 9.59.45 AM.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 433
Thanks for the fast reply and also putting this thread in the right place. I have turned off (removed the link to the drive location)) in the TM preferences. When I go to the File Station and choose "Time Machine" folder then choose my folder (as opposed to my wife's)... open it ...there are a number of files (see photo) do I delete all of these or specific ones?
Don’t enter one level deeper. Stay on the root level once you enter your main TM folder. There identify your Mac backup and delete it. Don’t browse it.

Once you remove it. Continue with reconnecting your Mac via TM back to your TM NAS destination

Thanks again Rusty ...we lost internet town wide yesterday so just getting back. I did as you outlines and the TM backup deleted from the list in File Station and is reflected in the Widget drive size. I have tried twice to then start a new TM to the NAS ...but I note it says that there is not enough room in Preferences.... then after two nightly shut downs I just tried it and it seems to be in process ... so thank you for your tutelage ... my biggest fear is screwing up what was a painstakingly long learning curve to get where things have been operating smoothly.
Rob

Thanks again Rusty ...we lost internet town wide yesterday so just getting back. I did as you outlines and the TM backup deleted from the list in File Station and is reflected in the Widget drive size. I have tried twice to then start a new TM to the NAS ...but I note it says that there is not enough room in Preferences.... then after two nightly shut downs I just tried it and it seems to be in process ... so thank you for your tutelage ... my biggest fear is screwing up what was a painstakingly long learning curve to get where things have been operating smoothly.
Rob
Glad you got it going again. It’s all good practice in the end.

Glad you got it going again. It’s all good practice in the end.
Hi Rusty - It appears that I'm having the same issue that Buckland had - but I'm not sure how to follow your advice.
I am viewing my NAS time machine directory via finder on my Mac. Are you suggesting deleting the Time Machine backup folder (mine is called 'Dupreener.sparsebundle') via an internet browser - but having the finder disconnected from the NAS?
Also if I delete this folder will it auto re-generate? Or will I have to setup the whole back again from scratch?

I was hoping to be able to use the Actual Time Machine app to delete the old incremental backups to save space and not have to re-setup my time machine back - because surely the method you describe would have to be repeated every time I run out of space (i.e. setting up the backup again and waiting for the all the folders to copy across again). Time Machine is designed to allow manual incremental backups to get round this problem.

When I try that method in Time Machine (I followed this GUIDE ) - I do not get the full dropdown menu options as shown on the guide - and this includes not getting the option to delete. See screenshot attached.

1. Can you advise how I might bring back the delete option?
2. As asked above - failing thiis - if the folder 'Dupreener.sparsebundle; is deleted - will it regerate and start backing up from scratch?)

Thanks

Ross

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.09.37.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.09.37.png
    206.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.09.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.09.42.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.10.16.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-04 at 17.10.16.png
    1 MB · Views: 279
because surely the method you describe would have to be repeated every time I run out of space
Correct. Rotation should work automatically depending on the TM user quota that you have setup inside dsm.

The method I described (deleting sparse bundle) would indeed remove the whole TM backup and start from scratch.

No way to delete partial unless you use the actual TM ui

Glad to see this thread again though sorry that someone else is having the same issue. I never was able to setup the TM where it deletes the oldest (even though it says it can). I have two laptops set up for daily backup. Both to the NAS and both to an attached USB hard drive so I can take when leaving. In neither setup could I figure the oldest data to be deleted. The only choice was to delete the whole thing and start over, for me it has to happen very six months. I would love to see this work but something is awry.

"Down in Monterey"..... I see two options

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 12.59.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 12.59.26 PM.png
    262.7 KB · Views: 212
In the actual Time Machine UI - there are no delete optoins available - no matter which way I click (cntrl click - cmd click - right click left click)
Are we saying that Time Machine doesn't work with Synology NAS's?
R

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 23.29.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 23.29.34.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
gawd forbid.... at least I haven't made it happen but I am a newcomer. It works.... but with the hassle that one needs to delete and start over say every 6 months. A PITA but acceptable but not happy. Would love a smart person out there to suss this out.

Hi! Time Machine is changing from macOS version to macOS version. Until Catalina, HFS+ and links were used. From Big Sur, APFS and its snapshot feature are used. Snapshots can’t be altered so it’s not possible to delete files anymore.

Normally Time Machine should do the house keeping of the snapshots and never bother the user. But it seems it’s not so mature yet.

Keep an eye on Howard Hokley’s articles about TM, like:

Yeah, I found these links too last night. It started in Big Sur, as attested to by the differences I see between the old Mac Mini stuck at Catalina and the MacBook Air which now languishes on Big Sur.

Personally, I use CCC to make bootable clones of each Mac (each has at least two clones). Then Time Machine is a nice to have that runs on older NAS kit. Also using personal (e.g. Synology Drive) and public cloud storage can offset more rapidly changing files.

Hi Rusty - It appears that I'm having the same issue that Buckland had - but I'm not sure how to follow your advice.
I am viewing my NAS time machine directory via finder on my Mac. Are you suggesting deleting the Time Machine backup folder (mine is called 'Dupreener.sparsebundle') via an internet browser - but having the finder disconnected from the NAS?
Also if I delete this folder will it auto re-generate? Or will I have to setup the whole back again from scratch?

I was hoping to be able to use the Actual Time Machine app to delete the old incremental backups to save space and not have to re-setup my time machine back - because surely the method you describe would have to be repeated every time I run out of space (i.e. setting up the backup again and waiting for the all the folders to copy across again). Time Machine is designed to allow manual incremental backups to get round this problem.

When I try that method in Time Machine (I followed this GUIDE ) - I do not get the full dropdown menu options as shown on the guide - and this includes not getting the option to delete. See screenshot attached.

1. Can you advise how I might bring back the delete option?
2. As asked above - failing thiis - if the folder 'Dupreener.sparsebundle; is deleted - will it regerate and start backing up from scratch?)

Thanks

Ross

did you ever figure this out? I'm at the end of my rope. I cannot delete a single file from list of backups when I "enter time machine". I used to be able to before

Not Sure if continuing with a new problem on this thread for Time Machine is appropriate or if I should start a new one as this seems to be a different (or maybe not) issue. The original TM issue was that I have a USB drive (1T) that would fill up and the TM would not delete the old to make room for the new. For the USB drive backup this was a pain but it was only every 6 months.... This time (see attached screen shot) TM has not been backing up to the NAS for 10 days... why did it wait till now to tell me?...... I can not seem to find why. There appears to be enough free space but then again maybe it is the same issue as with the USB drive? If so, appreciate the steps needed to start anew. I do not need to refer to the backups unless I have a computer crash. So could erase as the USB drive backup is still doing fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 4.28.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 4.28.10 PM.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 8
Haven't found cause yet. I see though that my percentage of disk space has dramatically changed from 35% to 28%. Here is the Control panel screen shot of shared folder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 9.06.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 9.06.15 AM.png
    80 KB · Views: 34
Haven't figured out what is wrong so wondering what is the best way to start over? Meaning delete my 1 T backup on the NAS... but then be able to start the process over again? Same as before I guess I'll have to do this yearly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.