Question Deleted files keep reappearing

NAS
DS216play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

I'm using Cloud Station Drive to sync files from my laptop to my DS216play. I've come across an issue where if I delete files from my laptop they reappear some time later. My sync mode setting is set for "Two-way sync" (but the only other choice is "Download sync data from the Drive server only.") What does this choice do exactly? Is the "downloading" in this choice sending data from my laptop to my NAS, or the other way around (which I don't want.)

(but the only other choice is "Download sync data from the Drive server only.") What does this choice do exactly?

Basically this means 1-way sync FROM the NAS to your laptop.

NAS -> Laptop

So I would stick with the 2-way sync, I use the same and is obviously handy if I need to access and edit my files remotely while I don't have my laptop with me (I then access the Drive web portal of my NAS).

Is your NAS syncing with another NAS or cloud? Have you checked the logs of your Drive server? The file add/modify/delete events should be visible there. See if you can find any entries related.

I haven't used Cloud Station Drive for ages but do use the successor Synology Drive.

In the Synology Drive Client on my Mac there is also the Global Settings. Under the General tab I can select what happens when the Mac client is relinked to the NAS.

1598890695437.png

This in addition to each task's sync setting: two-way; one-way NAS to client; one-way client to NAS.
1598890867376.png

It should be similar for Cloud Station Drive.

Wow guys thank you for the quick replies!

I was hoping there was a quick-and-dirty fix for my issue... was it painstaking to upgrade from Cloud Station Drive to Synology Drive (meaning, will I lose all my files?) On my NAS I also have a few folders that are saved there from an old external hard drive so I could keep everything in one place... will those be lost as well?

Thanks. Last question (yeah, right!)... Will I have to re-create all my folder syncs I have in Cloud Station Drive on the laptop, or do those migrate over?

OK, so I've pulled the trigger and installed Synology Drive. It's been almost two hours and some folders haven't indexed yet (sub-folders, mostly). Plus I had to move a bunch of saved files/folders in File Station that were saved in the "home" directory (stuff not synced but just stored on the NAS from old external hard drives I had lying around so I could have everything in one place) -- moved to the Drive folder. In File Station all files are visible; in Synology Drive, however, this is where things all haven't appeared yet. Could the process of indexing take hours and hours for Synology Drive to "see" all my files?

I wouldn't put "all" my files under Drive. Only those that I want to sync with my devices. Otherwise, I can just map to the NAS, and open any file I need, and avoid all the unnecessary indexings etc.

BTW... if you have versioning active, and are using an ext4-formatted pool, Synology Drive will store duplicate copies of all versioned files... effectively consuming 2x the drive space necessary.

(Sorry, my bad -- maybe I used the word "indexing" incorrectly... I thought it meant the NAS finding all my files and being able to display and search for them.) What I meant is that not everything visible in File Station is now visible in Synology Drive after upgrading. So, if I have, say, 100,000 files total, and I can "see" all 100,000 files in File Station, why can't I "see" all 100,000 files in Synology Drive? Did something go wrong during upgrade, or does it take the NAS a while to find all my files for display/search?

(Sorry, my bad -- maybe I used the word "indexing" incorrectly... I thought it meant the NAS finding all my files and being able to display and search for them.) What I meant is that not everything visible in File Station is now visible in Synology Drive after upgrading. So, if I have, say, 100,000 files total, and I can "see" all 100,000 files in File Station, why can't I "see" all 100,000 files in Synology Drive? Did something go wrong during upgrade, or does it take the NAS a while to find all my files for display/search?

I just noticed on my laptop that the Drive client application (the one that replaced Cloud Station Drive) still has 60,000+ files to sync/"process" (even though the files are already both on the NAS and the laptop.) Does this mean that the "index" (again, I apologize if I'm using the wrong word) is being created/updated (which would solve my problem described above?)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.