Currently reading
Demo NAS problem

NAS
DS413
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I inherited a NAS from my sister-in-law which we discovered in the attic of her house covered in dust. It had been running quietly in the background for 5 years after the death of her husband never being accessed.

Having cleaned it up, reformatted it etc (as a complete beginner never having had a NAS before). I have it working now as a local storage device.

However, I was unable to register it with Synology (passwords long lost/forgotten), and on querying it I discovered that the device had apparently been issued for a review purposes and was never intended to be available for "normal" public use.

Is there any way I can get it to work by allowing internet access for my family so I can use it as a store for all our photos, home videos etc?

However, I was unable to register it with Synology
Well, can you register it using your own public Synology Account "account"? If the NAS is already registered with Synology (QC or DDNS) you will get a warning ofc. Considering that you have reformated all, if the device is still "registered" with Syno, you will have to ask them for help to unregister it from the previous Syno Account so that you can register the serial number with yours.

After that, you should be able to configure it normally.

Is this the problem you are currently having?

Hi, welcome to the forum.

From what you say you've got the NAS to a point where it's rebuilt and working as you want it. But you can't associate it with a/your Synology account and so any features that rely on that don't work?

I'm trying to think of which features this would affect: probably using QuickConnect, Synology DDNS service, Support, purchasing anything that is associated to the NAS via the account (exFAT package, erm...?).

If you're just wanting others to access the NAS from the Internet then there are other dynamic DNS (DDNS) service providers that are supported by DSM (Control Panel -> External Access -> DDNS). You could either use a domain provider by them or purchase a private domain and get it hosted by a DDNS service.

You would also have to configure your Internet router/firewall to port forward to the NAS. Which ports will depend on the services you want to make accessible.

Well, can you register it using your own public Synology Account "account"? If the NAS is already registered with Synology (QC or DDNS) you will get a warning ofc. Considering that you have reformated all, if the device is still "registered" with Syno, you will have to ask them for help to unregister it from the previous Syno Account so that you can register the serial number with yours.

After that, you should be able to configure it normally.

Is this the problem you are currently having?
Sorry for delay in replying, haven't had a chance to get online.

That is the problem, but Synology told me that they couldn't re-register it as it was a demo machine.
-- post merged: --

Hi, welcome to the forum.

From what you say you've got the NAS to a point where it's rebuilt and working as you want it. But you can't associate it with a/your Synology account and so any features that rely on that don't work?

I'm trying to think of which features this would affect: probably using QuickConnect, Synology DDNS service, Support, purchasing anything that is associated to the NAS via the account (exFAT package, erm...?).

If you're just wanting others to access the NAS from the Internet then there are other dynamic DNS (DDNS) service providers that are supported by DSM (Control Panel -> External Access -> DDNS). You could either use a domain provider by them or purchase a private domain and get it hosted by a DDNS service.

You would also have to configure your Internet router/firewall to port forward to the NAS. Which ports will depend on the services you want to make accessible.
Sorry for delay in replying, haven't had a chance to get online.

I will have a look into this. Needs a bit of reading as I'm a nice here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.