device order of logical volumes (LUNs) in active iSCSI sessions

NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
I recently tried to add a logical volume to a live iSCSI session. Through the San Manager in DSM, I provisioned the volume and mapped it to an existing iSCSI target. I then requested the iSCSI initiatiator (Open-iSCSI on Linux, managed through iscsiadm), rescan the target for new devices. This operation caused an unexpected problem, because the new device became exposed as preceding the already existing one in the sequence of SCSI disks listed by the kernel (/dev/sda, sdb, etc.). The change disrupted an active mount, which I had hoped to preserve. Even more surprising was that the order of the scanned logical volumes was inverted from the SCSI disk order (discovered by following the symbolic links in /dev/disk/by-path). Thus, it seems, in some places the new volume was ordered after the already existing one, yet in other places before.

My observations lead to a few questions, as follows, about the operation and inter-operation of the iSCSI initiator (on a Linux host running Open-iSCSI), and the portal (on the Synology DiskStation NAS):
  1. Do the tools offer any safe method for dynamically removing or adding volumes to the tail end of a list, without affecting volumes and devices earlier in the sequence, in an active iSCSI session, with some devices actively mounted?
  2. How does the Linux host acting as the initiator resolve the volume order, or device order, in various places, based on configuration of Open-iSCSI and the San Manager in DSM?
  3. Is there any way to see the name of a volume in the initiator, as it provisioned through the SAN Manager?
The questions generally are not issues only for live sessions, because it also is crucial to ensure selection of the right volume for removal, when an unused one is taken from the pool, to reallocate storage on the back end storage media.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back