RT2600ac Devices Not Joining The Closest Access Point, Why?

Currently reading
RT2600ac Devices Not Joining The Closest Access Point, Why?

NAS
214 PLAY
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Some of my devices are making questionable choices to which AP they connect to (MR2200ac) leaving them with only 1/5 signal strength.

Can you manipulate this in the set up?

The wifi standard has specified that clients decide to switch to another access point in Mesh setups. The router has no task here.
Fortunately some mesh systems have now implemented AP steering, a mechanism that is built in the router and force clients to move.
I know my Fritz mesh uses AP steering, not sure about synology.
Sometimes new drivers on the client help.

I have the same issue. I know that devices that do not support 802.11v have issues with roaming. What is strange in my case is that it is one single Alexa device that decides to connect to the access point with poor connection. I have different Alexa devices nearby that connect to the closer access point. I pretty much use standard settings. Does anybody have an idea how to optimize this?

Screenshot 2023-11-25 081706.png

Screenshot 2023-11-25 081714.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.