Currently reading
DHCP Server - how?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
A question guys...... To get around my 'Orbi' issues I'm considering turning off DHCP on the Orbi and using DHCP Server on the NAS.

The bit I can't get my head around, how do I get the network to use the DHCP server on the NAS instead of the Orbi? The Orbi is set as the gateway of course (let's say 192.168.1.1) and he NAS has a static IP lets say (192.168.1.195).

So on all devices the Gateway is set to 192.168.1.1, how on earth do I tell the network to get a dynamic IP from a rqnge of (say) 192.168.50 to 192.168.100.

Any tips appreciated.

Is the orbi the only device issuing DHCP addresses in your system (ie you don't have an ISP modem/router doing this)? Have you tried just turning off DHCP on the orbi and turning it on in the NAS and see what happens?

Upvote 0
I did turn off DHCP on the Orbi and tried using it on the NAS it worked fine until the DDNS / DNS issue I suffer with DSM7 stopped outgoing DNS issues again.

Upvote 0
LAN clients that are configured to use DHCP will look for broadcasts from a DHCP server. In my experience you should only have one device running DHCP server on the LAN otherwise it can cause issues until you disable one of them. The gateway doesn't have to run the DHCP server ... consider that any new device doesn't know the gateway IP, or any IP or subnet, until it gets its first DHCP configuration from the LAN's DHCP server.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.