Question Direct Download Station to go through VPN?

Currently reading
Question Direct Download Station to go through VPN?

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
To all the VPN masters.

I'm trying to have my download station traffic (torrent dloads) go through a vpn service.
Under network interface, I've created a VPN profile, added my OpenVPN credentials, the vpn server and the certificate and I'm connected. So far so good.
Now, how to tell Download Station to go through this particular vpn interface?

I thought I can do that via the Traffic Control tab, but that's not the case! I can add BT ports there to control bandwidth usage but not a network interface.
I'm sure I'm mixed up and missing something very obvious.

Appreciate any help. Thanks :)

Thank you both.

Of course all traffic will go through the VPN now. My external access won’t work. Right?

I was hoping that I can tell DSM to go through the VPN for Download Station only while keeping everything else the same.

Am I asking for too much? :rolleyes:
You can activate Multiple Gateway option in the advanced settings (Network section in control panel). That will allow you to get back in while vpn is up. Will not work for all cases but for most it will.

This one @Rusty?

I think this is what you mean.

It doesn't work. I can't access the NAS from outside when the vpn is connected.

Found this post on reddit, where the poster used a combination of firewall rules to control traffic. But I don’t think it works (at least not for me).

I think I'm better off using a dedicated machine with a share on the NAS.

Thank you all for your input.

I think this is what you mean.

View attachment 270

It doesn't work. I can't access the NAS from outside when the vpn is connected.

Found this post on reddit, where the poster used a combination of firewall rules to control traffic. But I don’t think it works (at least not for me).

I think I'm better off using a dedicated machine with a share on the NAS.

Thank you all for your input.
That’s the setting, yes. What NAS model are you running?

216+II
DDNS no QC.
I would suggest then to run another DSM instance inside Docker. Set it as a separate "NAS" with it own IP address and then configure download station and vpn connection inside it. That way your torrent traffic will be encrypted on a level beneath the host itself (your NAS) and still you will be able to access your NAS (via ddns) the way you want to.

Added bonus with this is that you can use that DDSM static lan ip address as a gateway parameter for all your LAN devices (phones, pcs etc..) and have them all use the VPN connection at the same time. So all your LAN traffic will be encrypted as well.

With this setup you will have 0 problems accessing your NAS from the outside but still, have an encrypted lan and torrent traffic via DSL. I run this setup for years with 0 problems.

Wow! That would be really great. I can understand the benefits that you've highlighted.
The only caveat here is that Docker and I are not friends yet :)

I'll add it to the projects list.

So far everything has failed, even the brand new RPI that I borrowed from a friend to try my "remote" backup idea didn't go far. Connected it to my big TV HDMI port to start working and nothing shows up 😂

It's a streak of bad luck. I think I'll have to lay low until the solar storm they mentioned fades away. Maybe that's it :)

Thanks again, Rusty.

The only caveat here is that Docker and I are not friends yet
Well running DSM in docker is not like running other docker images. You will download a package file from Syno site and run it via a wizard. After that you will open up a browser and point it to a specific address to complete configuration just like you would for any other NAS and its DSM install. YOU CAN DO IT!

Will give it a try. Let me first go over the mongo thing one more time to see if I can nail it. Thanks.
Just read the tutorial 1st then start working on it. The point is that at the begging I did post parameters that the container needs, but the file (conf) needs to be created beforehand so that you can select it and map it using the UI.

Looks like I nailed this one. DDSM is running :)

View attachment 274
So can I treat this like if it's a standalone Disk Station and assign an LE certificate to it and forward router ports and all that Jazz?
Of course with the VPN restrictions if I enable that.
Awesome! Yes you can treat it as a standalone DS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.