RT2600ac Discussion on TP Security Mode (As Opposed tto Network Stability Mode)

Currently reading
RT2600ac Discussion on TP Security Mode (As Opposed tto Network Stability Mode)

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I'm playing around with TP's Security Mode, which is not the default.... Per TP, What IS the Default: 'Network Security Mode': if too many packets arrive, they are passed and not scanned by TP’ .. and That is the Default... To keep connection stable... What is Stable?

Does that not seem like an Advertisement for a simple work around of TP??
“Just throw many packets at it, and some will be not scanned at all”???

But, could this be a feature for 6600, and the 2600 (weaker) gets it by default from latest firmware? Does 2600 have the available power to use this???

So, I go looking for the equivalent of Resource Monitor in the 2600, so I can monitor the CPU and Ram used by 2600 while I browse... Figuring that CPU and Ram useage would increase with more work examining packets.... And with that I could see the Router getting overloaded, and use that as a tool to test the 2600 of being able to use TP’s “Security Mode”.... ??
BUT: Don't find current CPU & RAM useage info in 2600... Does it exist in 2600????

Next... Blindly Turn On "Security Mode" in TP and will see how it reacts.... Inform Wife of a potential change in Web-Surfing, and asked her to inform of any changes..... or slow downs, and I search myself for gaps in operation.... Shields UP at GRC reacts as normal... Other browsing seems normal..... So I post here..... for Direction in this after finding no further in depth information. ???

Does anyone have history with Security Mode in TP, and wish to share? Or any other docs on this that would go into greater detail? I'm running it on a RT2600ac with V1.3.1-1

OH YES! and a location in 2600 where I could see present CPU & Ram Usage? I thought I found it once, but I could be thinking about NAS, and not the Router.....

Thanks for any comments....

Solution
I think we have a winner! RT2600ac router with EXT4 formatted M.2 in USBV3 enclosure as LOG and Threat Prevention Storage:

Login as admin
change to root sudo -i

External USB speed test as a reference: hdparm -Tt /dev/sda 493.46 with cache, 75.06 drive alone

Trim External USB Drive: fstrim /volume1 didn't complain.... or report anything... (Verbose: fstrim -v /volume1)

External USB Drive speed test after: 608.90 with cache, 75.64 after

Now.... How often to do Trim?

Afterward all logs and TP User Rules are still there, and system reports all is good!!! :)!

Interesting footnote to this: Other than my logging in & out, and successful enabling & disabling SSH, there are no other logs indicating anything...
Last edited:
If I run mount on my 2600 I get the following:

/dev/root on / type exti (defaults)
|/gys on /sys type systs (0) none on /dev/pts type devpts (gidad, mode=620)
|/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0) /run on /run type umps (Ew,nosuid, nodev, relatime, mode=755) /dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (zw, nosuid, nodev, relatime) /dev/ada6 on /volumel type est4 (defaults)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs
(0)
//dev/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type bind
Gone)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugs (0)
|/dev/sdr1 on /volumeusB3/usbshare type ext4 (nodelalloc)
SynologyRouter:/$

If I want to run fstrim on the USB drive where TP is stored do I run:

fstrim /dev/sdr1

Or

fstrim /volumeusB3/usbshare

Or maybe: fstrim /volume1 ???

And If fstrim is supported, how often should it be done to the USB SSD????
The USB SSD was just formated EXT4 34 days ago... Prior to that it was FAT formatted for over a year
How often should trim be run ?

????????

Thank You!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I think we have a winner! RT2600ac router with EXT4 formatted M.2 in USBV3 enclosure as LOG and Threat Prevention Storage:

Login as admin
change to root sudo -i

External USB speed test as a reference: hdparm -Tt /dev/sda 493.46 with cache, 75.06 drive alone

Trim External USB Drive: fstrim /volume1 didn't complain.... or report anything... (Verbose: fstrim -v /volume1)

External USB Drive speed test after: 608.90 with cache, 75.64 after

Now.... How often to do Trim?

Afterward all logs and TP User Rules are still there, and system reports all is good!!! :)!

Interesting footnote to this: Other than my logging in & out, and successful enabling & disabling SSH, there are no other logs indicating anything else happened.... I can't say I've much looked at logs before, so this is an FYI... :)!

Also, I contacted Support asking if Trim for external USB Drives in SRM 1.3.1-1 is already being done or not..... and if not, how often should Trim be done on an external USB drive?? I'll post what they indicate...

Upvote 0
Solution
Last edited:
Ok, I guess now we know where we stand!
Fortunately, I can manually do a trim, every couple months or so. So I’m fine, even if that is never fixed!
As I found out, yesterday— Trim Will improve access speeds that TP uses.

And Seeing that the SD Card slot was removed on 6600, someone should file a Feature Request for trim to be added (on SRM, not DSM, as he suggests below)….

Hello,

Unfortunately, TRIM isn't supported on the RT2600 connected externally via USB SSD.

TRIM is supported for our NAS units depending on the SSD installed.

Enable SSD TRIM | DSM - Synology Knowledge Center

If you would like this possibly to be implemented in a future DSM update we would suggest completing a Feature Request.

Also, we are unable to provide cron jobs or scripts/commands to users.

Regards,

Avery G

Upvote 0
Synology Support just replied on my Question….

Avery G​

support_offical.svg

2022-10-10​

No. TRIM is not supported on any of the Synology routers at this time.
-Avery G

I guess we’re all going to get good at the command line, then!

Upvote 0
Anybody reading this.... Please IGNORE posts I received from Support!!!

Trim IS BEING DONE (on my 2600) ...... Don't know WHY I was told "No Synology Routers supports Trim on External USB drives"......
BUT - it IS being scheduled.... /etc/crontab cat crontab !!!!!!

This makes my life easier.... (Don't have to do it manually!) but now not sure what else I've been told is incorrect.... ????? WTH??

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Don’t know. Unit is neither MFG. Will check mfg website to see. How did those end up doing that? Automatically within unit, or another ‘something’ within Mac OS?
Nothing in FAQ. Contacted support (hope this one gives correct answers!)
PS: informed Synology Support about findings, cat crontab, and he immediately closed ticket! Maybe he's 'new'...

Upvote 0
Don’t know. Unit is neither MFG. Will check mfg website to see. How did those end up doing that? Automatically within unit, or another ‘something’ within Mac OS?
The garbage collection was a feature built into the SSD drives and automated internally.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.