Disk Not Initalized

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Setting up my DS720+ for the first time and noticed that one of my hard drives is not Initialized and I can't create Storage Pools or Volumes. the action keeps failing. Drive shows thats its healthy but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the drive to initialize?

AG

Edit: think I figured out that I got a bum drive. My NAS says that its currently operating at 0 deg Celsius.........Im going to go ahead and set up the storage pool/volume for now and expand the storage pool when I get the drive replaced.

Have you got a USB enclosure/dock hub that you can put the disk into and then run diagnostics using Mac or PC?
No sir. Im going to call the retailer this AM and see if I can get a replacement.

Can you see any reason as to why I couldn't continue with the NAS set up and then "add disk" to add in back up capability when the new disk arrives. I would hate to have to start all over in a week!

"Not Initialized" means that DSM is not installed. Are all the disks the same size? You cannot add smaller disks to an existing pool, but you can create a new pool.

Screenshots of your Storage Manager tabs would be helpful.
Yes, both 6TB drives. But this drive would not initialize, allow me to access it to create a storage pool and I kept receiving notifications that it was operating below 0 deg Celsius.

When I set up the NAS and add the DSM software, would it not automatically populate both disks at the same time with the DSM? Or is that two separate steps? Maybe I missed something on the initial set up?

Sounds like there's a fault. I guess you've removed the disk and checked the connector is clear and popped it back in.
Yessir, that was my first attempt. I restarted the NAS. When that didnt' work, I pulled the disk and re installed. Still no luck.

I kept receiving notifications that it was operating below 0 deg Celsius.
I believe this is a Synology bug as many reports about this are surfacing in the "Community"... 3 users here...

Have you installed DSM 6.2.3 Update 2?

I believe this is a Synology bug as many reports about this are surfacing in the "Community"... 3 users here...

Interesting. Im currently running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

This is the exact same issue I am having. AND Im using the WD Ultrastar drives. I believe this may be a bigger issue with WD quality control issue.

It could be WD... or it could be Synology has buggered up things again as it did recently when it misread volume sizes of pre-existing pools, and made alarming alerts.

You could SATA connect the drive to a PC and look for temperature stats to compare with the NAS (a USB connection won't provide disk telemetry).

I'd check the WD and QNAP forums for corroborating posts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.