1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS1522+ - Versatile data hub for home and office

Flexible data management for homes and small business​

The 5-bay Synology DiskStation DS1522+ is easy to scale and expand as your needs change, with optional support for up to 15 drives, 10GbE networking, and NVMe SSD caching. Powered by Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), it offers a flexible all-in-one solution for data sharing, synchronization, backup, and surveillance...

Read more about this resource...

Good day,
I have the 1522+, it has 4x GB Network ports, I was wondering can I use these ports to connect my PC to the internet if Port 1 is connected my my router?
Basacilly, run from my router to my NAS, then from my NAS to my PC.
Can this be done?
Thanks

Can this be done?
You can connect your NAS and PC directly via one of those ports if that is your question. But, what are you trying to achieve in the end with this connection?

Get Internet access from your PC via NAS to the Internet or just "local" transfers between the two?

Hi,
I have 1 network cable running from my Router to my PC (35feet), Can I connect the Cable into the NAS on port 1, and then connect my PC to the NAS via network cable to Port 3/4 and still have internet access.
I don not want to run a second cable if I can avoid it. If the NAS can do this, is there something I need to setup first?

Thanks

Hi,
I have 1 network cable running from my Router to my PC (35feet), Can I connect the Cable into the NAS on port 1, and then connect my PC to the NAS via network cable to Port 3/4 and still have internet access.
I don not want to run a second cable if I can avoid it. If the NAS can do this, is there something I need to setup first?

Thanks
Ok so you want to access the Internet from your PC via the NAS.

Try and keep all the network interface in the same subnet (on the NAS and PC), and then once you connect the two, set the gateway parameter on your PC OS to the IP address of the NAS (it's local IP address). Then try and access the web.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you don't want to use a cheap network switch? Router to switch, then NAS and PC to the switch.

A cheapish semi-managed switch (does some of the static link aggregation supported by your NAS) is this one that I used to use, replaced by a managed 24 port TP-Link switch. It also supports VLANs, so is better than a basic unmanaged switch.

If you don't need anything special (VLANs, LAG/LACP, etc) then an unmanaged switch will do what you need. Something like this. I had an older plastic-cased version that I replaced with the one above.

You would need one more Ethernet cable.

I link to TP-Link as it is what I've used but there are other good brands, such as Netgear and Zyxel, only a google search away.

@SynoMan I can't seem to embed Amazon links and URL tags just convert to MEDIA tags.

edit: updated the Amazon links, now should be working.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.