2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS1621+ - Data management and protection, for anyone

ds1621+_big.png

Powerful, scalable, and versatile​

Synology DS1621+ is a powerful and compact 6-bay network attached storage solution designed to store and protect critical data assets. Today’s growing amount of unstructured data requires smarter and increasingly higher performance methods of storing, accessing, and collaborating. Designed for scalability, the DS1621+ enables you to start small, then expand as your data grows...

Read more about this resource...

I've got a trusty, old 1812+, and I'd like to update.
Using as a home nas, first choice would be the 1621Xs+ but it's without SHR (you can use it with a trick, I know, but it's unsupported).
What do you think about the 1621+ with a 16GB ram update and a 10Gbe card in future?

What do you think about the 1621+ with a 16GB ram update and a 10Gbe card in future?
Well, the apparent differences are CPU, a built-in 10G, more RAM, and a better PCI slot. It all depends if any of these out of the box things will matter to you.

Keep in mind that the new 1621+ is running on the AMD chip, not intel, so there might be some package changes that might need to upgraded but apart from there, guessing 1621+ will be more than enough. Also, if you are gunning for SHR support then you don't have too much choice, right?

Also, the price difference is more than double, so also something to consider. If you have a budget for an XS model I would suggest getting 2x1621+ instead of a single XS, considering that you can also upgrade the ram on it, add 10G if you need to, and get the same amount of bays. Still, the CPU difference will be there, but again, depending on your needs it is a question if you will notice it or not.

Last edited:
Some performance info from Synology, you'll have to go back and forth between 5 Bay (DS1621+) and SA/XS+ (DS1621xs+) pages to compare them.

Performance: 5 to 8 Bay
Performance: SA/XS+

And @capitanharlock here's the datasheet for your DS1812+

Looking at the DS1812+ the CPU is a dual core 2.1 GHz and the chassis has two 1GbE interfaces, also 1GB RAM expandable to 32GB. I'd start by comparing that to newer NAS and considering how you feel about performance today.

Thanks, do you think a 1621+ would be a wothy upgrade from a 1812+?
Off the top, it would be but as @fredbert said you could compare specs and go from there.

On thing is for sure your 1812 model will not support any new DSM version and HW vise it would also be an upgrade.

Still you will have to compare a bit from your end and see what you want to use the new nas for. The stronger the model the more options you will have but again, it all depends on your needs

Thanks, the 1812+ is struggling with the Surveillance station and three cams.
Hope the 1621+ will perform better.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I bought (on a hunch) from eBay a kit of:

2x Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT CX311A ConnectX-3 EN Network Card 10GbE SFP+W/3M Cable​

for $89, and it worked perfectly between my new Synology DS1621+ and my Supermicro X8DTE motherboard.
Literally plug and play, direct attach, no switch....
The Cards came with full height brackets but with a Dremel and a little patience, I modified the full height bracket to fit in the NAS.

Did not have to install any drivers on the windows end,
DSM version "DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3", ....windows Server 2012.....

INCREDIBLE speed of over 800 MB/sec copying virtual machine VHD disks to the NAS for backup.
one happy camper.

I upgraded my DS1621+ with the following:
Intel E10G42BTDA X520-DA2 LP FH Dual SFP+ NIC
2 x Kingston 2666MHz CL19 16GB DDR4 ECC Memory Modules KSM26SED8/16HD (It works perfectly but I receive the non-Synology memory warning on reboot.)
2 x Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB PCle NVMe M.2 for the cache modules.

I'm using a 10Gtek for Intel SFP+ 10Gb 1-Meter XDACBL1M Cable to connect it to a Ubiquiti UDM Pro SPF+ port.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my set up. Can't wait get all of my data backed up and organized.

NOTE: It came with DSM version "DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3" out of the box, but just upgraded manually to DSM 6.2.4-25554 today.

I upgraded my DS1621+ with the following:
Intel E10G42BTDA X520-DA2 LP FH Dual SFP+ NIC
2 x Kingston 2666MHz CL19 16GB DDR4 ECC Memory Modules KSM26SED8/16HD (It works perfectly but I receive the non-Synology memory warning on reboot.)
2 x Samsung MZ-V7S500 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB PCle NVMe M.2 for the cache modules.

I'm using a 10Gtek for Intel SFP+ 10Gb 1-Meter XDACBL1M Cable to connect it to a Ubiquiti UDM Pro SPF+ port.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my set up. Can't wait get all of my data backed up and organized.

NOTE: It came with DSM version "DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3" out of the box, but just upgraded manually to DSM 6.2.4-25554 today.
So the X520-DA2 works fine with the DS1621+? I wasn't sure as I've read some reports of issues because of the AMD processor and some compatibility with Intel SFP+ cards. That's awesome, I'll get one and move into the faster lane :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.