2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS220j - Personal cloud solution for data sharing and backup

ds220j_big.png

An easy-to-use private cloud for everyone
DS220j is an entry-level 2-bay NAS designed for home and personal users to store and share photos, videos, and documents. The private cloud solution is powered by the award-winning DiskStation Manager (DSM) OS, providing an intuitive user interface and safe data protection approaches for easy digital asset backups from computers and mobile devices at no additional cost.

For more information...

Read more about this resource...

... or discuss it below.

I'm considering buying the DS220j and getting two Samsung 1TB SSDs for network storage and continuous backup (for two people). Ideally, my goal was to totally cut the cords from public cloud vendors. But I still would like a low budget/effort way to manage a periodic off-site storage snapshot as a precaution. Maybe public cloud makes the most sense but I was still thinking I could burn it to a rotating set of external drives.

Any other thoughts on this scenario?

SSDs for fast read/write file access from devices. I thought that SSD provide a 4x performance improvement over HHD. Am I wrong?

Am I wrong?
You will for sure get better speeds than with HDDs but it also depends on the CPU and RAM inside the NAS (or any device). Just thought that with two 1TB drives you might not get much more speed than when running with 4x larger drives for more storage, especially that you want the device for backup.

just my 2c

I'm considering buying the DS220j and getting two Samsung 1TB SSDs for network storage
Unless your network is 10GbE, there's little advantage in SSDs, and frankly, the j-series is a relatively under-powered NAS, that more than likely could not take advantage of SSD speeds or a 10GbE network infrastructure. In fact, my j-series CPU limits my 1GbE network card performance.

Unless your network is 10GbE, there's little advantage in SSDs, and frankly, the j-series is a relatively under-powered NAS, that more than likely could not take advantage of SSD speeds or a 10GbE network infrastructure. In fact, my j-series CPU limits my 1GbE network card performance.
Thanks, Telos. I have a 1GB network and would like a NAS for just for network storage and continuous backup. Since SSDs don't make sense for me, I could buy more storage as HHD. Sounds like I could apply the savings to an upgraded NAS. Any recommendations?

I could apply the savings to an upgraded NAS. Any recommendations?
The "gold standard" is the plus model. OTOH, you could buy larger HDDs with the j-series.

So you are aware... the j-series struggles with Moments and video transcoding. If these might be of future interest, avoid the j-series. OTOH what sets the plus series apart is btrfs' bitrot protection, btrfs apps, Docker and VM capability.

If I had to do it all over, I would get a 4 drive plus unit... even if I began with just two drives. For me, Docker has made the NAS quite useful.

The "gold standard" is the plus model. OTOH, you could buy larger HDDs with the j-series.

So you are aware... the j-series struggles with Moments and video transcoding. If these might be of future interest, avoid the j-series. OTOH what sets the plus series apart is btrfs' bitrot protection, btrfs apps, Docker and VM capability.

If I had to do it all over, I would get a 4 drive plus unit... even if I began with just two drives. For me, Docker has made the NAS quite useful.
whoops - HDD, not HHD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.