DS720+, DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
DiskStation DS2422+ - Flexible large-scale storage for small and medium-sized businesses.

ds2422+_big.png

Built for high-performance mass storage​

The 12-bay Synology DiskStation DS2422+ is a capable choice for small and medium businesses with large storage, file sharing, and data protection requirements in a multi-user environment. It comes with powerful storage management, file syncing, surveillance, and backup software, and is suitable for editing high-quality video and as VM storage...

For more information...

Read more about this resource...

... or discuss it below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously bad news. They “let” you use non compatible drives with a warning (who cares) but purposefully disable smart reporting of serial number. Temperature and bad sectors. Wtf!?

This makes me want to leave the synology ecosystem because I get the feeling they will expand this lock-in to all but maybe 4bay and smaller NAS’s.

And these greedy lock-ins are lazy and out of date too. Synology can’t slap their labels over drives that are anywhere near current top capacities, stuck at 16tb (while 22tb drives are out). Really horrendous.

I wrote my own saga of Synology applying a retrospective drive locking issue on my RS1221+ a while back, so no need to repeat it here, but Synology is on an path that is both prohibitively expensive, or in the case of SSDs, large HDDs and often RAM, physically impossible.

My move to TrueNAS is still a while away but it is inevitable. I only run 4 Synology NASes now, a number that will erode to zero over the next few years. I already run a Mac mini and a Lenovo mini PC as servers; it is utter madness that a ASi Mac mini is more affordable than a low-spec single-role Linux box. Not to mention that my router has more RAM, faster networking and a faster CPU than the typical Synology NAS.

☕

I wrote my own saga of Synology applying a retrospective drive locking issue on my RS1221+ a while back, so no need to repeat it here, but Synology is on an path that is both prohibitively expensive, or in the case of SSDs, large HDDs and often RAM, physically impossible.

My move to TrueNAS is still a while away but it is inevitable. I only run 4 Synology NASes now, a number that will erode to zero over the next few years. I already run a Mac mini and a Lenovo mini PC as servers; it is utter madness that a ASi Mac mini is more affordable than a low-spec single-role Linux box. Not to mention that my router has more RAM, faster networking and a faster CPU than the typical Synology NAS.

☕

Thanks. Does truenas or any other nas provider have something like SHR and synology Cloud Drive?

Last edited:
You could try qnap.

I looked at them. They generally have better hardware than synology but last I checked didn’t have an equivalent to SHR. It used to be their software stunk but I hear now it’s close. If they had SHR I’d jump ship immediatel.
-- post merged: --

Ok seems UNraid does shr like stuff and has an even more vibrant app eco system!

Bleh. So Unraid is somewhat shr-like in that you can expand the raid, and in someways better (it stores plain files in file system on each disk so even if you lose say 2 drives out of 5 and the parity can’t be used to rebuild the lost dives, the other 3 drives are accessible and will have your data), it doesn’t stripe the data so its slow as poop and has serious compromises. This video shows the issues.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wcplVZLyPs

So there really doesn’t seem to be anything close to shr out there, which is extremely annoying…

I run on WD (formerly HGST) deskstars and Ultrastars. One would think that if the 4TB Ultrastar will work, others "should" as long as they are not on the INcompatibility drive matrix for those models...
-- post merged: --

Seriously bad news. They “let” you use non compatible drives with a warning (who cares) but purposefully disable smart reporting of serial number. Temperature and bad sectors. Wtf!?

This makes me want to leave the synology ecosystem because I get the feeling they will expand this lock-in to all but maybe 4bay and smaller NAS’s.

And these greedy lock-ins are lazy and out of date too. Synology can’t slap their labels over drives that are anywhere near current top capacities, stuck at 16tb (while 22tb drives are out). Really horrendous.
the cost markup is significant as well. look up the similar sized Toshiba drive and you'll see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.